Extension Cord Fires And Burns
Jed Dietrich, Esq., Recognized as a Best Lawyer of America and New York Super Lawyer, and His Team of Aggressive, Tenacious, and Hardworking Attorneys at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. Fight to Obtain the Best Result for Burn Victims of Extension Cord Fires in Buffalo, New York.
Extension cords are commonly used to plug in TVs, computers, lights, appliances, and other gadgets. Most households tend to increase extension cord use during the cold winter months and holiday season. Unsuspecting families can easily overload electric outlets by plugging in too many Christmas lights or electric heaters using a combination of power strips and extension cords. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), each year, approximately 4,000 injuries caused by extension cords require emergency room treatment. Young children or pets who chew on extension cords may fall victim to electric shock and burns. According to research conducted by the University of Missouri School of Medicine, in a 15 year period, over 1,000 children suffered serious oral electrical burns.
Extension cord fires can be especially devastating because of how abruptly they ignite and the high temperatures discharged. Fires caused by extension cords often cause severe burns throughout the body, smoke inhalation injuries, and even fatalities. Every year, roughly 3,300 residential fires originate from extension cords, killing at least 50 victims and injuring 270 more. Has your child suffered a severe burn injury from an extension cord? Has an extension cord ignited a fire that resulted in property damage, serious injury, or worse? If so, you may be entitled to seek monetary compensation.
Jed Dietrich, Esq. founded the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. in 2005 with a mission to provide the highest level of personal injury service to victims. Since 1999, Jed Dietrich, Esq. has exclusively handled serious personal injury cases. Over time, Jed Dietrich, Esq. has seen the devastating impact that fires can have on a victim’s life, ranging from third-degree burns and permanent disfigurement to smoke inhalation and death. The best of the best at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. understand the emotional trauma and destruction that these injuries can trigger. Our cream of the crop team of extension cord burn injury attorneys is here to assist you by asserting your legal rights to seek compensation. Honored with a Better Business Bureau A+ Rating, our outstanding law firm will fight to obtain the best result for your burn injuries and resulting damages. Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq. at least $1,000,000.00 or more 44 times to compensate his clients for their injuries. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s highly qualified team is available for your free consultation 24 hours per day and 7 days per week by calling 716-839-3939 or by filling out the online consultation form.Who can be Held Liable for Your Extension Cord Fire?
The most frequent causes of extension cord fires are overloading the outlet, misuse, short circuits, and damage to the cord. Liability for injuries suffered depends on the unique circumstances that led to your extension cord accident. Typically, extension cord fires and burn injury claims are based on negligence or product liability. Demonstrating negligence and receiving compensation for your injuries depends on the duty of care owed by the defendant. The following parties may be held liable:
- Extension Cord Designer and Manufacturer: If you purchased a new extension cord that caught on fire, even though it was being used as directed, you might be able to file a product liability claim against the designer or manufacturer. Manufacturers have a legal duty to all consumers to produce safe extension cords.
- Homebuilder or Electrical Contractor: If it is determined that the fire resulted from a construction company or electric contractor improperly wiring the outlet, you may be able to file a claim against them. Homebuilders and electricians are legally obligated to install reliable electrical outlets in houses they construct.
- Landlord or Building Manager: If you rent the property, you may be able to file a claim against the owner if he or she knew or should have known about a condition that caused the fire. Property owners have a legal duty to protect all residents and visitors from any dangerous conditions that could result in injuries. Landlords are required to fix defective property conditions without delay.
WERE YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, BURNED IN AN EXTENSION CORD FIRE IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER, OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK EXTENSION CORD FIRE AND ACCIDENT BURN INJURY LAWYERS AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Most outlets are only designed to convey a limited supply of electricity. Using extension cords with multiple plugs can cause overheating by generating unsafe levels of electric current. In an instant, your extension cord may become overheated and ignite a fire. The cause of death in most house fires is smoke inhalation, as opposed to dying from burn injuries. The heat released during an extension cord fire is enough to burn the lungs so brutally that the victim dies. Without a working smoke detector, fumes can cause victims serious harm before they even realize there is a fire. Having a properly installed and operational fire alarm can prevent many of the fatalities caused by extension cords. Some of the CPSC’s recommendations for preventing extension cord fires include:
- Inspect all extension cords for damage before plugging them in;
- Uncoil every cord in use to minimize heat buildup;
- Keep electrical cords away from all heat sources;
- Never use an extension cord that feels hot;
- Keep small children and pets away from electrical cords and outlets;
- Never place a rug over an extension cord because it could cause overheating;
- Extension cords should only be used temporarily; appliances requiring constant use need a separate outlet;
- Avoid overloading power outlets with too many devices or appliances;
- If any electrical device starts tingling or smoking, unplug it immediately; and
- Maintain unprotected extension cords away from walkways.
If you, or a loved one, have suffered severe burns or worse in an extension cord fire, it is crucial to contact Jed Dietrich, Esq., acclaimed as an American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys 10 Best Attorneys, and his top rated team of Buffalo, New York extension cord accident lawyers at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. to learn more about your legal options. Our highly determined, dedicated, and disciplined team will systematically investigate the circumstances surrounding the fire to ascertain who should be held liable for your injuries. You may have the right to seek monetary compensation for your past and future medical bills, lost wages from work, pain and suffering, permanent disfigurement, and reduced earning capacity. Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq. over $175,000,000.00 in verdicts and settlements to compensate his clients for their serious injuries. Our honorable commitment to exceeding your expectations and delivering an excellent outcome sets us apart from the competition. Contact us today at 716-839-3939 to find out more about how we can help you!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!