Spinal Cord Injury FAQs
Jed Dietrich, Esq., Recognized as a New York Super Lawyer and Distinguished Justice Advocate, and His Team of Aggressive, Tenacious, and Hardworking Attorneys at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. Fight to Obtain Exceptional Results for Victims of Accidents Involving Spinal Cord Injuries in Buffalo, New York.
A spinal cord injury occurs when a portion of the victim’s spine or connected nerves are harmed in any way. Depending on the severity and location of the damage, spinal cord injuries can be some of the most debilitating catastrophes. Severe spinal cord damage can result in loss of feeling and/or movement in the arms and legs, loss of control of bladder or bowel movements, and even the loss of the ability to swallow or breathe. Jed Dietrich, Esq., distinguished as one of the Top 3 Personal Injury Lawyers in Buffalo, New York, sympathizes with the overwhelming impact spinal cord injuries can have on victims and ultimately their loved ones. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s seasoned team of personal injury lawyers have represented numerous victims whose lives were turned upside down because of spinal cord injuries.
Tragic stories of severely injured victims inspire Jed Dietrich, Esq. to strive to provide the highest level of personal injury service to victims in Buffalo, New York, every single day. The attorneys at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. understand how to properly and aggressively pursue spinal cord injury claims. We will zealously fight to obtain the best possible result for your case. Our battle-tested team has put together some frequently asked questions and answers regarding spinal cord injuries. If you would like specific answers regarding your case, please feel free to contact the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. You can reach us by calling 716-839-3939 or by filling out the online consultation form. Our highly experienced spinal cord injury attorneys are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week. There is never a fee unless we WIN for you!Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Spinal Cord Injuries
Some of the most frequently asked questions regarding spinal cord injuries include:
1. Do I have a spinal cord injury case? Spinal cord injuries can occur as a result of trauma to the back, neck, or head. Whether your spinal cord injury was caused by a fall, car crash, sports-related injury, or some other type of accident, if you suffered injuries as a result of another’s negligent or reckless actions, you may be entitled to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. For minors, their parents or legal guardians can file a claim on their behalf, or they may wait until they turn 18 years old.
2. How can the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. protect my spinal cord injury claim? Due to the complex legal and medical issues concerning spinal cord injuries, these claims tend to be extremely technical. The significance of hiring an experienced, skilled, and knowledgeable personal injury lawyer cannot be stressed enough. Our elite attorneys can provide sound advice and guidance regarding your claim. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s veteran team knows how to thoroughly investigate your injury and hold all responsible parties accountable. Pursing a lawsuit for a spinal cord injury is not a process that you should take on alone, especially when so much is at stake. We will fight uncompromisingly for your legal rights and to obtain the compensation that you need and deserve.
3. How long do I have to file a lawsuit related to spinal cord injuries in New York? The statute of limitations depends on the type of case a victim decides to pursue. Failure to file a lawsuit within the applicable statute of limitations can bar a victim’s right to recover compensation for their injuries and damages. We highly recommend contacting the Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s highly qualified team as soon as possible to ensure that your rights will be preserved.
4. How much have other victims of spinal cord injuries recovered? Jed Dietrich, Esq. aggressively battled to obtain numerous settlements, arbitration awards, and jury verdicts on behalf of his clients who suffered spinal cord injuries. Below are a few of the many notable spinal cord injury awards recovered:
- a. $2,750,000 Settlement: A 36-year-old woman required surgery to her right wrist and two spinal fusion surgeries after being hit head-on by a dump truck.
- b. $2,200,000 Settlement: A 37-year-old man required back surgery and was deemed partially, permanently disabled following a T-bone collision.
- c. $750,000 Arbitration Award: A 38-year-old man required a laminectomy and cervical spine fusion after being rear-ended.
DID YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, SUFFER A SERIOUS SPINAL CORD INJURY IN AN ACCIDENT IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER, OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK SPINAL CORD INJURY ATTORNEYS AT (716) 839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
5. What are some important statistics about spinal cord injuries? Some of the most up-to-date statistics regarding spinal cord injuries include:
- a. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, roughly 294,000 Americans are living with spinal cord injuries (SCI), and there are over 17,800 new cases every year;
- b. Approximately 78% of SCI victims are male, and the average age at injury is 43 years-old;
- c. Car accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries, which are closely followed by falls;
- d. Roughly 30% of victims with SCI are re-hospitalized at least one time during any given year following their injury; and
- e. As reported by the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC), spinal cord injuries cost the United States around $9.7 million dollars every year.
6. What compensation can I recover from the party who caused my spinal cord injury? The main principle of monetary awards in spinal cord injury cases is to compensate victims for the damages caused by the accident and resulting injury. Compensation is meant to restore a victim to his or her pre-accident condition. If you have suffered spinal cord injuries in an accident, you may be able to obtain compensation for all past and future medical treatment, rehabilitation, lost wages from time off of work, diminished earning capacity, assistive devices, modifications to your home, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment in life, pain and suffering (caused by your injury, as well as treatment and recovery), permanent disability suffered, costs to repair or replacement of damaged property, and any other unforeseen damages.
- 7. What legal theories can be used to pursue a spinal cord injury lawsuit? While spinal cord injury lawsuits can arise in many ways, most spinal cord injury cases are based on the legal theory of negligence. To establish that a party is legally responsible for your injuries due to negligence, you must demonstrate that the responsible party owed you a duty of reasonable care. That said party breached its duty through either a negligent/careless action or failure to act. That your spinal cord injury was caused by said breach, and that you have suffered actual damages from your injuries.
8. Who are common defendants in spinal cord injury cases? The defendant could be any person or entity whose negligence or recklessness contributed to your accident. Most defendants in spinal cord injury cases are drivers in auto accident cases, property owners in slip and fall accidents, doctors and hospitals in medical malpractice cases, car and seatbelt manufacturers in product liability cases, and coaches and schools in sports-related injury cases. Regardless of the defendant, the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. will aggressively battle to obtain the maximum possible compensation from the responsible party.
Since 1999, Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as an American Institute of Trial Lawyers Litigator of the Year, has battled to obtain over $175 Million in verdicts and settlements for people who were injured in Buffalo, New York, throughout New York State, and beyond. Jed Dietrich, Esq., member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, founded the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. in 2005 with a mission to provide the highest level of personal injury service to victims. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s team of highly experienced and elite spinal cord injury lawyers will strive to obtain the best possible result for victims of tragic accidents. Our honorable commitment to exceeding your expectations and delivering an excellent outcome is what sets us apart from the competition. Call us today at (716) 839-3939 to find out more about how we can help you!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at (716) 839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!