Jackknife Accidents In Buffalo, New York
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reports that in 2017, there were 5,205 jackknife accidents nationwide, 1,000 of which caused injuries, while more than 200 were fatal crashes. In 2017 alone, there were 4,761 people killed in crashes involving large trucks, a 9% increase from 2016. Of these deaths, 72% were occupants of other vehicles.
The current trend of people ordering goods online and having them delivered to their door is growing. As this trend continues to grow, the number of large trucks on the road will continue to grow. With more trucks on the road, we can expect to see an increase in collisions involving semi-trucks. One of the most common and devastating types of trucking collisions is a jackknife accident. The accident occurs when a large truck and its trailer skid, and the trailer then swings out to form a 90-degree angle with the truck. The resulting formation resembles a folding jackknife.
A jackknife collision can be catastrophic, as the trailer can swing uncontrollably across several lanes and collide with multiple vehicles. As a result, the risk of fatalities and serious injuries is extremely high in these collisions. If you suffered personal injuries in a jackknife accident, you want a highly aggressive, tenacious and hardworking jackknife accident lawyer in Buffalo, New York by your side to fight for the compensation that you deserve.
If you, or a loved one, were involved in a serious collision with a commercial truck, call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. today at 716-839-3939 for your free consultation. A jackknife accident can lead to a complex legal claim, which is why you want an experienced Buffalo, New York serious injury attorney like Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as a Best Lawyer of America and New York Super Lawyer, to handle your case. At the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., our Buffalo, New York jackknife truck accident attorneys understand the complex liability issues associated with large commercial truck crashes. We will fight to attempt to get full and fair compensation for you.
Listed below are common factors that alone, or in combination, commonly contribute to jackknife accidents:
- Aggressive or reckless driving;
- Black ice;
- Curved roads;
- Drunk driving;
- Evasive maneuvers;
- Improper cargo loading;
- Inexperienced drivers;
- Light or unevenly distributed load;
- Mechanical failures;
- Poor brake maintenance;
- Sharp turns;
- Tire blow-outs;
- Truck driver fatigue;
- Texting while driving; and
- Wet roads.
Careful collection and consideration of all evidence is the only way to determine what factor or combination of the factors listed above caused the jackknife collision. If you, or your loved one, suffered a serious injury or fatality in a truck jackknife accident, you want to have a committed and aggressive Buffalo, New York truck accident lawyer like Jed Dietrich, Esq. on your side. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. team will evaluate your case, investigate and determine the cause of your collision to assist you in pursuing your personal injury claim.
Our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys, led by Jed Dietrich, Esq., are skilled in doing the extra leg work these types of collisions require, to establish liability. We are experienced in examining records of trucking companies, collecting evidence and fighting for the full compensation that you and your family deserve. Contact us today at 716-839-3939.
Semi-trucks can top out at 80,000 pounds, while the average passenger vehicle weighs only about 4,000 pounds. This significant weight difference is the main reason why the injuries sustained in these collisions are often far more severe than the injuries sustained in regular motor vehicle collisions. Due to their size and mass, when 18-wheelers are involved in collisions with passenger vehicles, serious injuries and fatalities are far more probable. These serious injuries include, but are not limited to:
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injury or concussion;
- Neck or back injuries;
- Broken or fractured bones;
- Burns; and
- Torn ligaments.
Our skilled and experienced team of Buffalo, New York truck accident attorneys will fight aggressively on your behalf to obtain the rightful damages for your injuries from the responsible parties. Call us now at 716-839-3939.
The experienced legal team of Buffalo, New York jackknife truck accident lawyers at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. understand the complexity of jackknife collisions. We know how being involved in a serious collision with a larger, heavier commercial truck differs from your average motor vehicle collision. Some of the particular differences include:
- The severity of the injuries and damages. The weight disparity between trucks and passenger vehicles heightens the likelihood of fatal collisions and increases the severity of the physical injuries sustained. The laws of physics dictate that the passengers in the smaller vehicle are at a disadvantage in jackknife collisions. The weight and size of the semi-truck determines the heightened force of impact, and when that impact is intensified, the injuries are too.
- The number of parties involved in the matter. Unlike the average motor vehicle collision, where there are usually just two parties involved, collisions with commercial trucks are a little more complicated. There are multiple parties that may be involved, some of which include: the truck driver, the owner of the truck, the owner of the trailer, the owner of the load the trailer is carrying, the company the driver works for, the company responsible for mechanical maintenance and the company in charge of securing the load that the truck is hauling.
- The difficulty in proving who was at fault. Since there are so many parties involved, it can be more difficult to prove who caused the collision. Did the truck driver fall asleep at the wheel, or did the unaffiliated loading company responsible for securing the load do so improperly? The liability could lie with any one of these separate parties or any combination thereof. Proving which party or parties were responsible for your jackknife collision is a vital part of the litigation.
- The unconventional mechanical issues that are exclusive to commercial trucks. Semi-trucks have mechanical problems that other vehicles may not have, like:
- The absence of anti-lock brakes;
- More braking time and stopping distance required;
- Increased difficulty in making sharp turns;
- Defective hitches;
- Improperly secured loads; and
- Lack of proper and timely maintenance.
Because of the complexity of these cases, you want to find the best truck accident lawyer in Buffalo, New York to handle your claim. Jed Dietrich, Esq. is recognized as a Best Lawyer of America and his team of experienced, skilled and tenacious Buffalo, New York commercial truck accident lawyers can navigate the complicated nature of truck accident litigation and fight to attempt to get you the compensation you deserve.
When a serious collision occurs with a commercial truck, several factors could have caused the incident. Because of this, establishing who is at fault in a jackknife truck collision can be difficult. A thorough investigation must be done to identify who is at fault. If multiple parties are at fault, it is important to know the degree each party’s negligence contributed to the collision you were involved in. Only by establishing who is at fault for your collision can you hope to seek the maximum compensation that you and your family deserve.
To determine which party was responsible for your personal injuries, speak to our jackknife crash attorneys in Buffalo, New York, led by the reputable and experienced personal injury lawyer, Jed Dietrich, Esq. Contact us today at 716-839-3939.
WERE YOU INJURED IN A JACKKNIFE TRUCK ACCIDENT CAUSED BY SOMEONE ELSE’S NEGLIGENCE IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK SERSIOUS INJURY ATTORNEYS AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious, and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!