Backing Out Accident
Jed Dietrich, Esq. and His Team of Aggressive, Tenacious and Hardworking Attorneys and Paralegals at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. Fight to Obtain the Best Result for People Injured by Cars While they are Backing Out.
The National Safety Council reports that more than 60,000 accidents and 500 deaths occur every year in parking lots and garages. Cars and trucks have blind spots which can make pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists and even other cars nearly invisible to a driver that does not adequately check their surroundings prior to backing up.
Why should you call us if you, or a loved one, were injured in or by a vehicle that was backing out? Our team of paralegals and lawyers are committed to providing the highest level of personal injury service to the people of Buffalo, New York.
Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his highly experienced, top rated and elite team of Buffalo, New York car accident injury lawyers have obtained more than $150 million on behalf of his clients. Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., a Best Law Firm of America, TODAY at 716-839-3939 for a free consultation if you were seriously injured by a car that was backing out. We are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week; there is never a fee unless we win for you!What Is A Backover Accident?
A backover accident occurs when a car, truck or SUV that is backing up strikes a nonoccupant such as another car, a pedestrian or a bicyclist.
Over 60% of backing up accidents involve large-size vehicles like trucks, vans and SUVs, which have relatively large blindspots, or areas behind the vehicle that the driver cannot see.
Although checking your surroundings is one of the primary concerns when learning how to drive, the sad truth is that people tend to get lazy and overconfident with their driving abilities over time or find themselves in a rush and fail to check their surroundings and blind spots adequately.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that there are approximately 18,000 backover injury accidents per year, with 3,000 of these resulting in incapacitating injuries. Children under the age of 5 are particularly at risk of not being seen by drivers.
If you, or a loved one, were seriously injured by a car, truck or SUV that was backing up, contact Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his aggressive, tenacious and hardworking team of lawyers and paralegals at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., a Best Law Firm of America, today at 716-839-3939. We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week and there is never a fee unless we WIN for you. Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of highly experienced Buffalo, New York car accident lawyers will battle to obtain the best result for you if you were injured by someone else’s negligence.Duty Of Buffalo, New York Drivers When Backing Up A Car, Truck Or SUV
A backover accident can result in serious injury or even death, especially when the person who was hit was an unprotected pedestrian, bicyclist or motorcyclist. Due to the seriousness of these accidents, New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 1211 requires that:
“The driver of a vehicle shall not back the same unless such movement can be made with safety and without interfering with other traffic.”
Failure of a driver to adequately check his or her surroundings before backing up constitutes negligence. This means that the driver can be held legally responsible for any injuries and damages that result because they failed to make sure that their path was clear.
If you, or someone you love, were injured by a car, truck or SUV that backed into you, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact Jed Dietrich, Esq., a Best Lawyer of America, and his top rated team of Buffalo, New York car accident injury attorneys at 716-839-3939 so that they can fight for the compensation that you deserve after a backing out accident in Buffalo, New York; Rochester, New York or Niagara Falls, New York. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. can be reached 24 hours a day and 7 days a week and there is never a fee unless we WIN for you.Preventing Backing Out Accidents
Backing out car accidents are common in parking lots and residential areas, where there are often adults and children walking near the back of a vehicle. Backing out accidents are almost always preventable and can cause serious, even fatal, injuries. Everyone, including the government, car manufacturers, drivers and other users of the road and sidewalks can play a part in preventing, or at the very least, reducing these accidents.
As of May 2018, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires lifesaving technology such as a rearview video system (RVS), also known as a backup camera, in ALL new vehicles.
In addition to using driver assistance technology to prevent accidents, backing out car accidents can also be avoided by:
- Driver Caution. Drivers should ALWAYS check their mirrors, look behind them and check their blind spots before backing up their vehicle. Being cautious and reversing slowly can help to reduce the chances of striking something or someone.
- Pedestrian and Bicyclist Precaution. Pedestrians and bicyclists, among others, should be aware of their surroundings and on the lookout for vehicles that may not see them while on the roadway, in a residential area or when approaching a steep incline with oncoming traffic. It is better to err on the side of caution than it is to assume that a driver will see you—even if you have the right-of-way.
- Educate Children. Children are particularly at risk of being injured in a backing out car accident because of their small size. Teaching children to not play in, around or behind cars and that parked vehicles can move will help children decrease their risk of being injured by a backing out car. However, education can only go so far. Adults should be sure to always hold a small child’s hand while in a parking lot and know where your kids are while they are playing in your yard or near vehicles.
- Keep Play Areas Safe. Children tend to play in areas where vehicles could easily be on the move. Parents or guardians should always know where their children are and should make sure that toys or play equipment are not left in driveways.
- Use and Install Driver Assistance Technologies. Most vehicles can have rearview cameras or backup sensors installed, if they do not already have them. Use of these safety devices, when combined with driver caution and adequate checking of the vehicle’s surroundings, can help to prevent backing out accidents.
If you, or a loved one, were injured by a driver who did not check their surroundings before backing out, you may be entitled to compensation. The top rated, highly experienced and elite Buffalo, New York car accident lawyers of the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., a Best Law Firm of America, are ready to help you. Contact us today at 716-839-3939.Technology To Prevent Backing Out Accidents
The development of driver assistance technology aims to reduce the number of accidents by helping drivers better see their car, truck or SUV’s surroundings and to warn them to act in order to avoid accidents. New vehicles are now mandated to be equipped with these devices in an effort to increase safety on the road.
Technology developed to aid drivers with backing out includes:
- Rear Automatic Braking. A Rear Automatic Braking system will engage your vehicle’s brakes to prevent a collision with a person, animal or object behind your vehicle.
- Backup Camera/Rearview Video System. A Backup Camera provides a driver with a clear view of any person, animal or object behind the vehicle.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert. A Rear Cross Traffic Alert will warn a driver if it senses that there is potential for a collision with a car or other object that falls outside of the view of the backup camera.
However, having driver assistance technology in your car is not and should not be a replacement for driver caution. Even if your vehicle is equipped with these devices, a driver should always check their surroundings, behind them and their mirrors prior to backing out. The few extra seconds it takes to do this could save a life.
Jed Dietrich, Esq. has been helping the people of Buffalo, New York; Rochester, New York and Niagara Falls, New York, who were seriously injured, since 1999. In 2005, Jed Dietrich, Esq. established the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., now recognized as a Best Law Firm of America, to provide the people of Western New York with the highest level of personal injury representation. Call Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of highly experienced, elite and top rated Buffalo, New York injury lawyers today at 716-839-3939. We will fight for you!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!