Winter Weather Driving
Jed Dietrich, Esq. and His Elite Team Car Accident Injury Lawyers and Paralegals at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. Care About the Safety of Motorists During Difficult Winter Weather Driving Conditions on the Roads of Buffalo, New York and Throughout New York State.
Western New York is known for its harsh winters and heavy snowfall. Severe winter weather can be both treacherous and scary to drive in. According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), each year more than 116,800 people are injured and over 1,300 suffer fatalities in car accidents that take place on snowy, slushy or icy roads. The same road conditions are responsible for almost one-fourth of all weather-related accidents.
By following the three P’s of safe winter driving, which include preparing for the trip, protecting yourself and passengers and preventing accidents, drivers can stay safe and hopefully avoid accidents. Safe winter driving involves a great deal of extra caution, as well as the need for employing additional vigilance and defensive driving techniques. Common sense and sound judgement are all the more important, while speeding or reckless driving can be especially dangerous. Additionally, being adequately prepared and properly maintaining your vehicle can prevent needless difficulties. Never forget that you are your vehicle’s best safety feature.
The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s team of Buffalo, New York winter car accident injury lawyers cares deeply about the safety and wellbeing of our clients and the residents of Buffalo, New York. As such, we have dedicated this page to help support motorists in remaining accident and injury free this winter. Since 1999, Jed Dietrich, Esq. has exclusively handled serious personal injury cases and has successfully represented numerous car accident victims. Severe car crashes can lead to life-altering bodily injuries, extreme emotional anguish and financial hardship. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s team possesses the knowledge and experience to diligently investigate your accident and to pursue the highest possible compensation for your injuries.
The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s team of winter weather accident lawyers in Buffalo, New York is highly experienced, aggressive, tenacious and hardworking. After a winter car crash in Buffalo, Rochester, Niagara Falls or elsewhere in New York State, Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team are determined, disciplined and dedicated to obtaining the best possible results for your injuries. Our Best Law Firm of America will fight to obtain the best result for your car accident injury. Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq. over $150,000,000.00 in verdicts and settlements to compensate his clients for their serious personal injuries, and we may be able to help you too! Contact us today at 716-839-3939 for your free consultation. We are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week!
The first step to bettering your chances of avoiding a winter weather accident is to learn how to drive safely. In addition, drivers should develop a set of safety rules for themselves to follow in case of bad driving conditions. We have put together a list to help prepare you for winter driving, which includes the following:
- Regularly check your tires: Make sure that your tires have enough tread and air.
- Buy winter tires: Specialized winter tires can add traction and help prevent skidding.
- Have your vehicle inspected and serviced: A certified mechanic should check to make sure all of your fluids are all full, your battery is working properly, your heating system is operating correctly and your windshield can be defogged.
- Drive an appropriate vehicle: If possible, avoid driving a sports car and any vehicle that is rear-wheel drive. Four-wheel drive SUVs and trucks are the best choice for snowy weather conditions.
- Keep an eye on your gas: Always maintain at least a half tank of fuel in your vehicle.
- Pack cold-wear supplies for emergencies: Supplies should include warm clothing, blankets, food and water, any necessary medications, jumper cables, flares, a glass scraper and a portable cell phone charger.
- Never warm up your vehicle in a garage: Warming up your vehicle in an enclosed area is dangerous and can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Check the weather forecast: Before heading out, know what kind of driving conditions there might be on the roads so you can be prepared.
- Do not rush: Give yourself extra time on your commute to drive safely and cautiously.
- Properly plan: Plan both your travel and route well in advance.
If you, or a loved one, were injured in a winter weather car accident, contact the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., recognized as a Best Law Firm of America, today at 716-839-3939. Our team of highly experienced and top rated Buffalo, New York winter car accident injury lawyers will fight for the compensation that you deserve if you were injured because of someone else’s negligence. This may include monetary compensation for your medical bills, lost time from work and pain and suffering.
It is important for you to observe all safety rules while driving in harsh winter conditions. Although there are various elements outside of your control, here are some practical guidelines for remaining safe and cautious behind the wheel during the winter:
- Avoid all unnecessary driving: In cases of severe winter weather only drive when completely necessary.
- Drive slower: It is important to remember that speed limits are the maximum speed you should drive. In bad weather conditions you should slow down and adjust your speed accordingly. Make sure that you take into account the lack of traction on icy roads.
- Do not drive too slowly: Driving too slowly can create unnecessary swerving hazards for other drivers and increase the risk of being rear ended.
- Do not use cruise control: Never drive with cruise control on icy, snowy or other slippery surfaces.
- Be familiar with your brakes: Practice slowing down or stopping quickly when there is no traffic around or in an empty parking lot.
- Know how to handle your vehicle: In the event of a spinout or skid look for a safe escape route. Typically, pure white snow is less dense and increases traction compared to darker packed snow.
- Leave enough following distance: Following other vehicles too closely will not give you enough time to react. Never tailgate and give vehicles in front of you extra stopping distance. Longer distances are required for stopping in winter weather conditions.
- Avoid stopping unless necessary: Slowing down instead of coming to a complete stop can help prevent skids and spinouts.
- Avert from any risky behaviors: Driving in winter weather is difficult enough. Make sure to avoid all distractions, such as smartphones and eating. Additionally, never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Keep your eyes open: Always stay vigilant of your surroundings. Regularly keep an eye on traffic in front of you, in your mirrors and watch all surrounding vehicles. Be on the lookout for stopped vehicles and pedestrians on the road.
- Always wear a seatbelt: In case of a spinout or accident, wearing your seatbelt can keep you from being harmed.
If you, or a loved one, were seriously injured in a car accident contact Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as a New York Super Lawyer, and his aggressive, tenacious and hardworking team of lawyers and paralegals at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. today at 716-839-3939. We are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week and there is never a fee unless we WIN for you. Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of highly experienced Buffalo, New York winter weather accident lawyers will battle to obtain the best result for you if you were injured by someone else’s negligence.
If you become stranded or stuck in the snow, we recommend following the below suggestions:
- Stay in your car: Your vehicle can provide needed warmth and shelter. Walking during a snowstorm makes it more difficult for passing cars to see you and it is easier to get lost.
- Be visible: Put bright markers on your windows and antenna, and keep the interior light turned on.
- Do not overexert yourself: If you become too tired while attempting to dig your vehicle out, take a break.
- Conserve fuel: Try to only run the engine and use the heater long enough to warm yourself up.
- Stay bundled up: Use everything that you have to stay warm and insulate your body from the cold.
- Unclog the exhaust pipe: Clean out your exhaust pipe, because blocked exhausts can cause carbon monoxide to flow inside your vehicle when it is running.
WERE YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, INJURED AS A RESULT OF A WINTER WEATHER CAR ACCIDENT IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!