Joseph E. (Jed) Dietrich, III
Joseph E. (Jed) Dietrich, III, Esq., the President of the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., has been practicing serious personal injury litigation in Buffalo, New York for over 20 years. Mr. Dietrich has tried in excess of 100 cases to verdict.
On more than 30 occasions insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich $1 Million, or more, to resolve personal injury claims. Jed Dietrich has collected in excess of $175 Million on behalf of his clients since 1999.
Mr. Dietrich is known to be:
The AGGRESSIVE, TENACIOUS AND HARDWORKING serious injury lawyer of Western New York.Personal Philosophy
Mr. Dietrich’s personal philosophy includes living by the following three precepts:
- The Golden Rule, treating others the way he wants to be treated;
- Thinking before he speaks; and
- Working hard to achieve the best results in any endeavor that he attempts.
Mr. Dietrich is known as an “A” type personality. He is highly energetic and very competitive. He uses that energy and competitiveness to attempt to obtain maximum compensation for each of his clients.The Difference Between the Dietrich Law Firm P.C and Other Law Firms
Jed Dietrich established the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. in 2005 to exclusively represent those seriously injured through the negligence of others.
The Mission Statement of the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. is:
To Provide the Highest Level of Personal Injury Service to Every Client.
There are many other lawyers and law firms that practice personal injury law in Buffalo, New York; however, the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. is known to practice in the Dietrich way which is:
- Dedicated; and
- Determined to achieve the best possible results for our clients.
Importantly, Mr. Dietrich is also a student of proper management styles and he supervises the staff of the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. in a way that capitalizes on the unique skill set of each employee. Mr. Dietrich guides the professionals of the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. to efficiently and precisely attempt to obtain the best possible results for our clients.
On a monthly basis, Mr. Dietrich conducts office-wide meetings to focus on the most important aspects of serious personal injury litigation in Buffalo, New York.
In these meetings Mr. Dietrich highlights:
- The importance of obtaining lost wages for our clients;
- The importance of securing proper prompt payment of medical bills; and
- The importance of documenting pain and suffering through a client’s medical records to assist in maximizing the value of every personal injury claim.
Mr. Dietrich, as a result of his competitive nature, is happy to proceed to trial should the insurance companies not provide a fair offer to settle a client’s claim.
Significantly, each and every case at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. is prepared as if it will go ALL the way to verdict. This is an important philosophical difference between the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. and many other impersonal and volume-based advertising law firms in Western New York. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. provides personal attention for your personal injury.Personal Attention for Your Personal Injury Claim
Mr. Dietrich, and his associate lawyers, provide their cell phone numbers to each and every client. Mr. Dietrich believes that this fosters close communication and a personal relationship between the clients and the attorneys of the Dietrich Law Firm P.C.Professional Legal Awards and Recognitions
Mr. Dietrich has been honored with membership in the following organizations:
- Super Lawyers (only 5% of the Attorneys in Upstate New York are members);
- Best Attorneys of America;
- Best Lawyers;
- American Institute of Trial Lawyers Litigator of the Year 2019;
- Top 3 Personal Injury Lawyers in Buffalo 2020;
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys 10 Best Attorneys;
- Attorney and Practice Magazine's Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney;
- Best of the Best Top 10 Personal Injury Attorneys 2020;
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100;
- Association of American Trial Lawyers Top 100;
- America's Top 100 Personal Injury Attorneys;
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum;
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum;
- Distinguished Justice Advocates – Top 1% of Attorneys in America;
- Elite Lawyers of America;
- Who's Who in American Law;
- America's Registry of Outstanding Professionals;
- Premier Lawyers of America;
- American Institute of Legal Advocates;
- Lawyers of Distinction; and
- National Alliance of Attorneys.
Mr. Dietrich has also led his firm to be recognized with a:
- Better Business Bureau A+ rating;
- Google Reviews Five Star-Highly Rated Rating;
- Membership in the Best Law Firms of America group;
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys 10 Best Personal Injury Law Firm; and
- Recognition by Expertise LLC as Best Car Accident Lawyers in Buffalo 2020.
Highlights of Mr. Dietrich’s legal career include:
- Resolving a car accident injury case for $11 Million;
- Settling a brain injury case concerning a drowning at a Buffalo pool for $7 Million;
- Representing the family of a pedestrian who was negligently struck in a crosswalk by a school bus which resulted in a settlement of $4.5 Million; and
- Resolving many, many cases for cervical fusions and lumbar spine fusions in excess of $1 Million. 1
Mr. Dietrich is admitted to practice law in the states of New York, Pennsylvania and Utah.
Mr. Dietrich’s practice areas include:
- Car Accident Injury cases in Buffalo;
- Truck and SUV Injury cases in Buffalo;
- Construction Injury Claims in Buffalo;
- Drowning cases;
- Slip and Fall and Trip and Fall cases;
- Bicyclist cases;
- Food Poisoning cases;
- Lifeguard Negligence cases;
- Dog Bite cases;
- Nursing Home Negligence cases;
- Pedestrian cases;
- Bus Injury cases;
- Sexual Abuse cases;
- Snowplow Operator Negligence and Recklessness cases;
- Uber and Lyft cases;
- Wrongful Death cases;
- Taxicab cases; and
- Other general negligence claims occurring in New York, Pennsylvania and Utah.
Mr. Dietrich has been a legal presenter and a guest lecturer for:
- The New York State Chiropractors Association;
- Daemen College;
- Canisius College; and
- Canisius High School.
Mr. Dietrich has also been a frequent legal commentator on the AM Buffalo Television Show, a local television program in Buffalo, New York.
Mr. Dietrich is a member of the following legal organizations:
- The American Bar Association;
- The Association for Trial Lawyers of America;
- The New York State Bar Association; and
- The Erie County Bar Association.
Mr. Dietrich started his legal career immediately out of law school with the Erie County District Attorney’s office as an Assistant District Attorney, prosecuting matters in the towns of Hamburg, Cheektowaga, Tonawanda, Collins, Kenmore and Sardinia.
After two years in the Erie County District Attorney’s office, Mr. Dietrich received a significant promotion. He was offered, and he accepted, a lead position as the First Assistant District Attorney of Cattaraugus County. Mr. Dietrich was second in command in this endeavor with the Cattaraugus County District Attorney’s Office.
As the First Assistant District Attorney of Cattaraugus County, Mr. Dietrich was known to try difficult cases including challenging sexual abuse cases and attempted murder cases.
Mr. Dietrich obtained guilty verdicts in each and every case that he tried in the Cattaraugus County District Attorney’s Office at both the felony and the misdemeanor levels.
Mr. Dietrich took this extensive courtroom experience from the District Attorney’s Offices into private practice in 1999. He has been practicing law representing those seriously injured by the negligence of others for over two decades.Education and Rowing Experience
Mr. Dietrich enjoys the competitiveness of a legal argument and he was known to be a natural “arguer” from a very young age.
Mr. Dietrich attended and graduated from the State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law in 1995.
Prior to law school Mr. Dietrich attended Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for his undergraduate studies. He was a member of the Varsity Rowing Team all four years and he held a triple Major that included: Economics, Real Estate and Pre-Law. He graduated Magna Cum Laude with a four-year cumulative grade point average of 3.73 out of 4.0. and a Bachelor’s of Business Administration degree.Rowing Championships and Awards
Mr. Dietrich is a 16 time National Champion in the sport of rowing.
At Temple University Mr. Dietrich was on a rowing scholarship and he won the Dad Vail National Rowing Regatta in the Varsity Heavy 8 three years in a row, namely 1989, 1990 and 1991.
Mr. Dietrich also earned the following accolades while rowing for the Temple University Rowing Team:
- Captain 1991;
- Most Valuable Oarsman 1991;
- David Zinkoff Most Inspirational Oarsman Award 1988 and 1989;
- Most Improved Oarsman 1989; and
- Highest Academic Average 1988, 1990 and 1991.
Mr. Dietrich was further an international champion in the sport of rowing having won the Reading Regatta, in Reading, England where Mr. Dietrich won the Senior Open Weight 8 category race. Mr. Dietrich also had international rowing experience at the Henley Royal Regatta in Henley, England. Mr. Dietrich raced there on two separate occasions. Firstly, in 1989 with Temple University and secondly, in 1991 again with Temple University. Mr. Dietrich was in the Open Weight 8 category for both of these international rowing events.1992 Canadian Sculler of the Year, Olympic Trials and Senior National Rowing Champion
After his undergraduate studies, but before attending law school, Mr. Dietrich was named the Canadian sculler of the year in 1992, having won the top 3 Heavyweight Single events at the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta in 1992. Mr. Dietrich set the course record on two occasions in 1992 at the Martindale pond rowing venue in St. Catherine’s, Ontario, Canada. That same year, Mr. Dietrich placed 12th in the United States Olympic Trials in the Heavy Single scull. The top 8 individuals were selected to represent the United States in the Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain in 1992.
Mr. Dietrich also won the United States National Club Championship in the Senior Heavyweight 8 category in 1991 with the Penn AC rowing club of Philadelphia.United States Junior National Rowing Team Member
Prior to rowing for Temple University, Mr. Dietrich was named to the United States Junior National Rowing Team in 1986. Mr. Dietrich represented the United States of America at the Junior World Rowing Championships in Czechoslovakia; he placed 10th in the world at that regatta in the Straight 4 event.Most Recent Athletic Endeavors
Mr. Dietrich is also a highly competitive Masters Swimmer having broken the 1-minute mark in the 100 Yard Freestyle at age 45.
In 2017, Mr. Dietrich returned to competitive rowing, after a 25-year hiatus. In 2018 he won the Royal Canadian Henley Masters Regatta in the Masters single event for 45 to 50-year-old competitors.
In 2018, Mr. Dietrich also won the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta in the Masters single in the 40 to 50-year-old age category and the Masters Quad event in the 50 to 60-year-old age category.
Mr. Dietrich’s personal philosophy is to aggressively and tenaciously conquer every objective that he attempts with hard work and discipline.High School Education and Rowing Championships
Mr. Dietrich attended and graduated from Canisius High School in 1987. He was a member of the rowing team for four years and he won the Scholastic Rowing Association of America National High School Championship in 1985, 1986 and 1987. He also won the Canadian Secondary Schools Rowing Association National High School Championship in 1986.Buffalo Roots
Mr. Dietrich is a native of Buffalo, New York having been born at the Children’s Hospital of Buffalo in 1969. Mr. Dietrich resides in Western New York with his wife Colleen Dietrich, Esq. who is also a member of the firm and his three children.
J.D., State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, 1996
B.B.A., Temple University, 1991
Magna Cum Laude
State of Utah, 2007
State of Pennsylvania, 2011
Erie County Bar Association
Member Since: 1996
Utah Bar Association
Member Since: 2007
American Association for Justice
Member Since: 2000
New York State Bar Association
Member Since: 2005
Member Since: 2010
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Member Since: 2004
Leading Plaintiff Lawyers in America
Member Since: 2007
America’s Registry of Outstanding Professionals
Member Since: 2007
Marquis Who’s Who in American Law
Member Since: 2007
Top Attorneys in Upstate New York
Member Since: 2013
Better Business Certified A+
Member Since: 2007
- $11,000,000 Automobile Brain injury 2003
- $7,000,000 Lifeguard Negligence Brain injury 2012
- $4,500,000 Automobile Back injury 2008
- $4,350,000 Food Poisoning Kidney injury 2014
- $2,750,000 Automobile Neck injury 2005
- $2,400,000 Pedestrian Automobile Death case 2012
- $2,700,000 Automobile Neck injury 2005
- $2,500,000 Automobile Neck injury 2004
- $2,200,000 Labor Law 240 Foot injury 2007
- $2,200,000 Automobile Back injury 2006
- $2,157,000 Automobile Neck injury 2003
- $2,150,000 Automobile Back injury 2008
- $2,000,000 Automobile Neck injury 2005
- $2,000,000 Labor Law 241(6) Knee injury 2005
- $2,000,000 Automobile Neck injury 2017
- $1,867,000 Automobile Back injury 2004
- $1,800,000 Automobile Back injury 2010
- $1,400,000 Automobile Back injury 2009
- $1,300,000 Automobile Neck injury 2010
- $1,250,000 Labor Law 241(6) Foot injury 2006
- $1,151,000 Labor Law 240 Knee injury 2004
- $1,150,000 Automobile Back injury 2017
- $1,100,000 Labor Law 240 Knee injury 2004
- $1,066,666 Automobile Back injury 2006
- $1,059,670 Automobile Back injury 2005
- $1,010,000 Automobile Back injury 2004
- $1,000,000 Automobile Neck injury 2003
- $1,000,000 Automobile Back injury 2004
- $1,000,000 Automobile Neck injury 2014
- $1,000,000 Automobile Neck injury 2016
In 2007, a 37-year-old woman was swimming in a public pool in the City of Buffalo when she suffered a seizure and a near-drowning occurred.
The lifeguards at the pool, who were municipal employees, were found to be negligent. As a result of this case, I have had occasion to become familiar and friendly with the preeminent expert on drowning cases in the world, Jerome Modell, M.D., D.S.C. (Hon.). Dr. Modell has written the seminal text on drowning in the world; The Pathophysiology and Treatment of Drowning and Near-Drowning. I am uniquely qualified to handle drowning cases.
I am also personally familiar with and have worked with Jeffrey Ellis who is the preeminent trainer of lifeguards in the world. Mr. Ellis owns Jeff Ellis & Associates, Inc. I worked closely with Mr. Ellis on our client's case to define the duty, breach of that duty by the lifeguards in this incident and the damages, which resulted in a $7,000,000 settlement.
Attached herewith is the New York Verdict Search Report of this case.
In November of 2004, a 58-year-old man was a pedestrian who was struck by a truck while attempting to assist another motorist on a roadway. The man, who previously was an avid marathon runner, suffered a severe injury to his lower extremity. This required several surgeries.
The 58-year-old man had run the Boston Marathon on two occasions prior to this injury, and further ran every day for 28 years prior to the accident. This injury precluded him from ever running again as competitively as he did before.
In preparation for trial, I met with my client's treating surgeons and prepared the case for mediation which ultimately resulted in a $2,200,000 settlement.
I have represented multiple plaintiffs who have sustained brain injuries and spinal injuries culminating in many multi-million-dollar settlements as a result of automobile injury cases, employment-related injuries and drowning negligence.
New York State Labor Law Section 240 and 241(6) provide protection and redress for construction workers who are injured as a result of defective and/or lacking safety devices which would have protected the worker from a fall from an elevated workspace. I have resolved many million-dollar Labor Law Section 240 and 241(6) cases allowing my clients proper compensation for their injuries. I am exceptionally qualified to handle Labor Law Sections 240 and 241(6) as I have worked with the preeminent experts on workplace safety.