Product Liability: Lawnmower Accidents In Buffalo, New York
A Lancaster, New York, lawn care company faced a citation from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recently when an employee operating a lawnmower lost two toes. The accident was attributed to a failure to follow the ascribed lawnmower safety procedures. This was the second citation to be issued to this particular company in three months, and both citations resulted from a lack of appropriately administered safety protocols.
A lawnmower-related accident can occur in two ways:
- When an individual fails to follow the approved safety procedures, resulting in a serious and potentially life-threatening injury; and
- When there is an inherent defect in the product itself.
As the example of the Lancaster, New York, lawn care company demonstrates, a lawnmower-related accident can be a life-altering experience. However, it is also preventable if the appropriate safety precautions are followed. It is more difficult to prevent an injury, though, if the accident is caused by a product defect. This is because it is assumed that a lawnmower product will function according to the manufacturer’s specifications. When the product fails to do so, accidents and injuries are likely to occur.
Determined and disciplined, Jed Dietrich, Esq. believes that in a personal injury claim, the client’s needs should always come first. At the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., our lawyers are your best resource when it comes to determining the steps to take in a lawnmower accident case. We can be reached twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week at 716-839-3939 and are ready to assist you in the best possible way.Lawnmower-Related Injuries
A study conducted through Johns Hopkins University found that each year, nearly 6,400 individuals are injured as a result of lawnmower-related accidents. Of these injuries, the most common were lacerations, with bone fractures and amputations tying for second in terms of prevalence. In the United States, for every five fatalities involving a lawnmower, one involves a child. Roughly 800 children are involved in lawnmower-related accidents every year. For 600 of these accidents, amputation is the heartbreaking outcome. When a child is involved in a lawnmower-related accident, they are more likely than an adult to sustain an injury that requires amputation. The age of the child, their size, and the extent to which they recognize danger can make them more at risk for a lawnmower-related accident. Injuries to the feet are most common in children under the age of 4, while those between the ages of 5 and 15 typically sustain damage to their hands.
Jed Dietrich, Esq. has accumulated decades worth of experience in personal injury law and is prepared to represent individuals injured as a result of a lawnmower-related accident. Call today at 716-839-3939 to begin the process – you will never be charged a fee until we secure you a win!Lawnmower Product Liability
In the event of a lawnmower-related accident that has been caused by a defective product, the liability falls on the manufacturer. A product manufacturer is obligated to ensure that their product functions as it was designed to. It is also their responsibility to produce accurate instruction manuals to accompany their product, which should warn against the improper and unsafe operation of their product. In the event of a workplace-related injury, liability can fall on three potential parties:
- The Manufacturer: A manufacturer might be held liable if an inherent defect in the product or inadequate instructions caused the accident;
- The Employer: An employer might be held liable if the employer fails to provide proper operational instruction, leading to injury or injuries that could have been avoided; and
- The Employee: An employee might be held liable if the employee failed to heed proper operational instructions, leading to an injury.
Whether you experienced a lawnmower-related accident at home or in the workplace, it is vital to receive unparalleled legal representation. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s team of lawnmower accident attorneys are dedicated to representing individuals who have been injured in lawnmower-related accidents.
At the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., we understand the life-changing effects of personal injury. An accident from a lawnmower can permanently alter your way of life. As such, the importance of finding the right representative for your personal injury case cannot be overstated. Our team of top rated lawnmower accident attorneys is ready to fight for you. Please call us today at 716-839-3939 for your free consultation or visit us online.At Home Lawn Mower Safety Tips
There are a number of preventative measures that can be taken to prevent a lawnmower-related injury. Nationwide Children’s website recommends the following lawnmower prevention and safety tips for families to follow:
- Teach your children and teens how to use lawnmowers correctly. Education is the most powerful tool for protecting yourself and others. Make sure your child is aware of the appropriate safety procedures for lawnmower handling. Children under 12 should not be allowed to operate a lawnmower, and those over 12 should be supervised.
- Check your surroundings before you mow. Look for objects such as stones or toys that might get caught in a lawnmower’s blades. Ensure that any pets and children are a safe distance away. Choose a pair of sturdy shoes that will give your feet extra protection, as well as eye and ear protection.
- While mowing, practice awareness of your surroundings. Be aware of any neighborhood children or pets that might run into your yard. Do not unclog a lawnmower’s blades or chute while the motor is running. Be extra careful on hills and inclines.
- Once you have finished mowing your lawn, make sure the machine is turned off and unclogged for its next use.
DID YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, SUFFER INJURIES FROM A LAWNMOWER ACCIDENT IN BUFFALO, NEW YORK?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TEAM OF QUALIFIED BUFFALO, NEW YORK LAWNMOWER ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!