Bicycles are a conventional means of transportation, exercise and recreation throughout Western New York. Nevertheless, bikes offer very little protection from the various dangers confronting cyclists on the roadways. This can lead to serious and potentially devastating injuries to cyclists in the unfortunate event of an accident. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2018, 857 bicyclists were killed in traffic accidents, which is 51 more fatalities than in 2017.
Being seriously injured, or worse, in an accident due to not wearing a helmet is a heartbreaking scenario that is easily preventable. These days, there are many fashionable, comfortable and even eye-catching bike helmets that can make staying safe much less problematic. According to New York Vehicle and Traffic Law, Section 1238, all bicyclists and their passengers under the age of 14 years are required to wear a helmet that meets standards established by the commissioner. Furthermore, Erie county has a local ordinance that requires all bicyclists and their passengers, regardless of age, to wear helmets while bicycling on county property.
The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. is dedicated to attempting to help keep the roads of Buffalo, New York safe for cyclists. Head injuries are one of the most excruciating and life-changing injuries a cyclist can endure. Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his top rated team of bicycle accident injury lawyers in Buffalo, New York recognize the devastating impact of these crashes because we have represented numerous cyclist accident injury victims whose lives were turned upside down as a result of terrible injuries. Since 1999, Jed Dietrich, Esq. has battled to obtain over $175 Million in verdicts and settlements for people who are injured in Buffalo, New York and beyond. Call us today at 716-839-3939 to find out how we can help you!How To Ensure That Your Helmet Fits Properly
In the event of a serious accident, a well-fitting and durable helmet can make the difference between life and death for a cyclist. While some bicycle helmets may look cool, you should take other important factors into consideration when searching for a helmet to protect your head. A safe helmet should securely fit on top of your head. If your helmet is shifting from side to side as you ride, then it is not tight enough. On the other hand, a helmet that is too tight can cause a lot of discomfort. Below is some useful advice for finding a helmet and adjusting it so that it fits properly:
- Measure your head: Wrap a soft measuring tape around your head, just above your ears and eyebrows.
- Go to the store: It is important to actually try on a new helmet before purchasing it to ensure that it is a good fit.
- Sizes vary: Helmet sizes and fits may differ from brand-to-brand, so it is important to take a look at each helmet brand’s sizing and fit tables to determine what helmet size fits your head.
- Get a proper fit: Your helmet should fit snugly on your head, with no spaces between the foam and your cranium. It is also important to make sure that the helmet is not too tight.
- Coverage: A helmet should not rest overly high or low on your head. To test, ensure that the front portion of the helmet’s inner bottom pad is one or two finger widths above your eyebrows.
- Eyesight: Check if you can see both side-to-side and straight-forward. The helmet should not obstruct your vision.
- Chin straps: The chin strap should be adjusted so that it fits snugly when centered under your chin. No more than two fingers should be able to fit between the strap and your chin. When the chin strap is buckled, the helmet should not be able to move in any direction.
- Check the back straps: The back straps should be tight enough that you are unable to lift up the rear portion of the helmet. If you lift up the helmet, you should adjust the straps in the back until the back cannot be moved anymore.
If you, or a loved one, were injured in a bicycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., recognized as a Best Law Firm of America, today at 716-839-3939. Our team of highly experienced and top rated bicycle accident injury lawyers in Buffalo, New York will zealously fight to obtain the best possible result for all of your injuries in Buffalo, New York; Rochester, New York; Niagara Falls, New York and beyond.Helmets Prevent Brain Damage And Save Lives
Numerous studies around the world have shown that bicyclists who choose to wear helmets are considerably less likely to suffer brain injuries than those that choose not to wear them.
- In Australia, studies found that after helmet laws were enacted the rate of bicycle related deaths decreased by 46%.
- According to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), wearing a helmet reduces the chances of all head-related injuries by 48% and serious head injuries by 60%.
- From 2010 to 2017, 79% of bicyclists killed in accidents were not wearing helmets.
- An article called “A Case-Control Study of the Effectiveness of Bicycle Safety Helmets,” which was based on extensive research, revealed that bicyclists who wore helmets reduced their risk of head injury by 85% and lessened their risk of brain injury by 88%.
- Further, the Cochrane systematic review reported that helmets reduce the risk of facial injury by 65%.
As an experienced personal injury attorney who has handled numerous bicycle accident claims, Jed Dietrich, Esq. can tell you that wearing a helmet is the single most important safety precaution you can take to help protect yourself from head injuries. Head injuries are the primary cause of permanent disabilities and fatalities related to bicycle accidents. Protect yourself, and those you love, by wearing a helmet.
Contact the Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s team of aggressive, tenacious and hardworking Buffalo, New York bicycle accident injury lawyers today if you were injured in a bicycle accident because of someone else’s negligence. We will fight for the compensation that you deserve for your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. You do not want to battle the insurance companies alone. Trust Jed Dietrich, Esq., who is recognized as a Top 3 Personal Injury Lawyer in Buffalo 2020, for the zealous representation that you deserve.
WERE YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, INJURED AS A RESULT OF A BICYCLE ACCIDENT IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK BICYCLE INJURY ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS AT 716-839-3939 TODAY TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!