Nursing Home Bedsore Injury
Jed Dietrich, Esq. and His Team of Lawyers and Paralegals at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. Will Fight to Obtain the Best Result for a Buffalo, New York Bedsore Injury.
When we entrust our loved ones to the care of a nursing home facility, we expect the caregivers to look after them carefully and diligently. When nursing homes neglect their elderly residents, physical and emotional suffering often occurs. Bedsores are a common form of nursing home injury that only happen if the facility fails to meet basic standards of care for its residents. If someone you love suffered from bedsores as a result of nursing home neglect, your family may be entitled to significant compensation. Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., recognized as a Best Law Firm of America, today. Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his highly rated team of Buffalo, New York nursing home bedsore injury lawyers will investigate your loved one’s case and fight to help your family obtain the best possible result.
Located in Buffalo, New York, the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. team has fought and won countless personal injury cases for the people of Western New York. We strive to provide the highest level of personal injury service to all of our clients. You can contact us 24 hours per day and 7 days per week by calling 716-839-3939 or by going online. We will happily provide you with a FREE consultation on your case and there will be no fee until we win for you! CALL NOW!
According to the Mayo Clinic, bedsores are commonly referred to as pressure ulcers. Bedsores develop when someone is immobile for a long period of time, putting pressure on the sensitive tissue of their skin. John Hopkins Medicine describes the development of a bedsore as the death of skin as a result of a lack of blood flow. Bedsores are incredibly painful and can deepen and worsen quickly.
Bedsores are typically experienced by those who have limited or no mobility due to age, injury or another medical condition. Bedsores frequently occur in patients who:
- Are confined to bed;
- Spend most of their day sitting in a chair; or
- Are wheelchair bound.
Bedsores most commonly arise on places in the body where the skin is pulled taut over bones, as this increases the pressure on the skin. Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic list the areas of the body most commonly affected by bedsores as:
- Hips, tailbones or other buttocks areas;
- Shoulder blades and spine;
- Back of the head; and
- Knees, particularly the sides of the knees.
Symptoms of bedsores vary and increase in severity the longer the bedsores go unattended. If your loved one is complaining about any of the following symptoms, or if you notice any of the following symptoms yourself, immediate action must be taken to prevent further injury:
- Mild itching, burning or discomfort of isolated areas of the skin;
- Notable change in coloring (perhaps severe reddening or yellowing) of the skin;
- Oozing or weeping of pus or discharge from painful areas of the skin;
- Swelling; and
- Areas of the skin that feel unusually cold or hot, especially when compared with the rest of the body.
Once bedsores develop, they can become serious quickly. It is important to seek immediate medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms or if your loved one mentions them to you. Some residents do not complain to nursing home staff of the mild pain they feel out of fear of becoming a burden or a bother, but the mild pain can transform into a life-threatening condition. More severe symptoms of bedsores include:
- Cratering or depressions in the skin at the affected area; and
- Expansive skin damage that is vast and deep, possibly exposing tissues beneath the skin, such as muscles or tendons.
Bedsores can have severe consequences and impact the quality of life of a nursing home residents. Some effects of bedsores include:
- Mental, emotional, and physical anguish;
- Permanently damaged skin;
- Further loss of mobility; and
- Infection that causes illness, mental complications, loss of limbs, sepsis or even death in older patients.
What might start as a mild inconvenience can become dangerous quickly. If the loved one you trusted to the care of a nursing home facility suffered severe personal injury or even death as the result of bedsores, call us today. Our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking team of nursing home bedsore injury attorneys in Buffalo, New York will thoroughly investigate your loved one’s claim and fight for the compensation they deserve. Our team of highly experienced lawyers and paralegals understands that bedsores and neglect can have a devastating emotional impact on your loved one, and we promise to handle your family’s case with the utmost care and compassion as we fight for the compensation that you deserve! Call 716-839-3939 today—DON’T WAIT!
Nursing home facilities should take steps to prevent bedsores before a resident begins to experience the pain of early bedsore development. It is up to the nursing home to ensure all residents, even those who are communicative and independently mobile, do not experience bedsores. Bedsores can be prevented in a number of ways by providing the patient with the following care:
- Ensuring a resident is getting proper nutrition, including vitamins that promote healthy skin;
- Ensuring a resident is receiving proper skin care, such as moisturizing in the dry months of the year and keeping skin dry from sweat or other bodily fluids;
- Ensuring soft padding is placed in beds, chairs and wheelchairs;
- Ensuring residents move frequently by helping them reposition regularly in their beds, chairs or wheelchairs;
- Ensuring immediate action is taken to prevent further injury if a resident or care professional notes possible symptoms of bedsores; and
- Ensuring nursing home staff listen to the concerns of residents and their loved ones.
Did a nursing home fail to protect your loved one from the pain and suffering of bedsores? Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., recognized as a Best Law Firm of America, at 716-839-3939 to see if you may have a right to monetary compensation. Our team of top rated Buffalo, New York nursing home bedsore injury lawyers will provide you with a FREE consultation and fight to attempt to get your loved one the compensation they deserve.
DID YOUR LOVED ONE SUFFER FROM BEDSORES AS A RESULT OF NURSING HOME NEGLIGENCE IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF NURSING HOME NEGLECT LAWYERS IN BUFFALO, NEW YORK AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Regardless of how quickly they can develop, bedsores are the direct result of neglect by a nursing home or long-term care facility. Neglect is the most common form of elder abuse and it is illegal. By law, a nursing home is required to adhere to certain standards applied to all long-term care facilities. These standards include:
- Providing a safe and hazard-free living environment to all residents;
- Monitoring and assisting residents who may have difficulty with mobility;
- Remaining aware of patient needs in the event that a patient develops a need for greater assistance;
- Allowing the resident to retain the highest quality of life and the greatest degree of personal independence possible for that patient and his/her particular needs and abilities;
- Providing or seeking the necessary degree of medical treatment for a resident in the event of an accident;
- Taking the proper legal steps to report any serious injuries; and
- Creating an action plan to prevent recurring injuries.
If your loved one suffered bedsores in a nursing home facility, their injury may be legally considered neglect on the part of the nursing home. If the nursing home failed to take appropriate action to prevent bedsores, your family may be entitled to significant compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, or even wrongful death. Contact the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. today. Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as a Best Lawyer of America and New York Super Lawyer, and his highly experienced team of nursing home bedsore injury attorneys in Buffalo, New York will investigate your family’s case, determine who is liable and sue any and all liable parties to attempt to get you the maximum compensation allowable under the law. People place their trust in nursing homes to look after their loved ones, and the violation of this trust is serious and should not go unchecked. Call now and let us begin the fight for you!
HAS YOUR LOVED ONE SUFFERED BEDSORES AS A RESULT OF NURSING HOME NEGLECT IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS AGGRESSIVE, TENACIOUS AND HARDWORKING TEAM OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!