Diving Board Accident
In New York, both public and private pools are extremely popular during the hot summer months. Diving boards are commonly found at many private and public pools as well as other facilities. Depending on the function of the pool, there are several different types of diving boards. These diving boards come in numerous sizes and are set at various heights. Some diving boards are 10, 15 or 30 feet above the water and can only be accessed by a ladder, while other boards are situated just above the edge of the pool.
Most pool goers like to consider their pool time as fun and relaxing. However, statistics illustrate that pools can be very dangerous. Besides all the drowning accidents, people being seriously injured or killed in diving accidents each year make pools one of the deadliest recreational activities in existence. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), every day roughly ten people lose their lives from an unintentional drowning. Even areas around diving boards can be dangerous, particularly when swimmers are directly underneath the diving board. It is vital for facility supervisors and pool owners to make certain that all diving boards are working properly, and that drivers use them correctly. Most diving board accidents are easily preventable when taking proper safety precautions. Unfortunately, many diving board accidents still happen each year and result in serious injuries that can have life-long impacts.
If you, or a loved one, were seriously injured in a diving board accident, it is important to carefully consider your legal options. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s team of highly experienced and top rated Buffalo, New York diving board accident injury attorneys have successfully resolved numerous cases involving various swimming pool accidents. Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as a New York Super Lawyer, and his highly experienced, top rated and elite team of diving board accident lawyers in Buffalo, New York in excess of $150,000,000.00 in verdicts and settlements to compensate his clients for their serious personal injuries. Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. TODAY at 716-839-3939 for a free consultation. We are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week, and there is never a fee unless we win for you!
Research indicates that there are several key risk factors commonly associated with diving accidents:
- Lack of slip-resistant coating on the diving board and around the pool: Slip and fall accidents can easily occur on diving boards that are not adequately coated with slip-resistant material. Further, a person can fall into the pool around the diving board area if the deck of the pool is not slip-resistant coated.
- Insufficient lighting around the pool: Sufficient lighting is necessary for pools that allow swimming at night. It is estimated that approximately 30% of all diving board accidents happen because victims failed to see hazards below the surface of the water.
- Drinking alcohol or using drugs: Alcohol and drug use greatly impairs judgement. Those who are under the influence tend to take part in more reckless activities. Additionally, being drunk or high can make swimming a lot more difficult.
- Peer pressure: Even without drugs or alcohol, social pressure to participate in risky behavior can be difficult to overcome, especially for teenagers. Horseplay can be especially dangerous on a diving board. Reckless and impulsive actions on diving boards can lead to serious injuries and even drowning deaths.
- Broken or improperly installed diving boards: Broken or improperly installed diving boards can snap during use, causing the driver to unexpectedly crash into the water. Additionally, diving boards may lack a good foundation or be too close to the edge of the pool, which could cause the diver to hit the concrete.
- Lack of hazard signs: Warning signs should be present to caution divers about the depth of the water. Without proper signs divers may dive in shallow water, which could result in brain injuries or paralysis.
If you, or a loved one, were injured in a diving board accident in Buffalo, New York; Rochester, New York; Niagara Falls, New York or throughout New York State, you want the best Buffalo, New York personal injury lawyer to handle your personal injury claim. Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of Buffalo, New York diving board accident injury attorneys are dedicated to fighting for the compensation that you deserve for the injuries that you suffered. Contact us today at 716-839-3939.
Victims involved in diving accidents can suffer serious spinal cord and head injuries that can have a substantial impact on the rest of their lives. If possible, victims should take the following steps after their accident:
- Identify the cause of the accident: The first thing you should do after being in a diving board accident is figure out what caused the accident. Did you slip on a slippery surface? Were you pushed by another pool guest? Did the diving board break from beneath you?
- Take photos: Take pictures and/or videos of your injuries and the scene of the accident, including any defective conditions at the pool, to help support your personal injury claim.
- Speak with the supervisor or owner of the pool: It is important to make certain that the supervisor or owner is made aware of your injury. Also, if at a closed facility or public pool, ask the supervisor to fill out an incident report and request a copy.
- Interview any eyewitnesses: Talk to witnesses who saw the accident happen, like lifeguards, other swimmers or anyone else that may be able to authenticate your story, which is especially crucial in cases where the property owner tries to blame you. Gather their contact information for use at a later date.
- Request medical assistance: If your injuries are serious, call 911 and go to the emergency room immediately.
- Contact Jed Dietrich, Esq.: An experienced personal injury lawyer like Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of dedicated Buffalo, New York diving board accident attorneys can meticulously investigate what caused your accident and evaluate whether you may have a claim for compensation.
WERE YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, INJURED AS A RESULT OF A DIVING BOARD ACCIDENT IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL THE AGGRESSIVE, TENACIOUS AND HARDWORKING TEAM OF DIVING BOARD ACCIDENT INJURY LAWYERS IN BUFFALO, NEW YORK AT THE DIETRICH LAW FIRM P.C. AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!