After being involved in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence or recklessness, it is customary to be confused, anxious, and even angry. Very few crash victims ever anticipate being involved in devastating collisions or sustaining severe injuries. Consequently, most motorists are unsure about the appropriate actions to implement after their accidents. This commonly results in crash victims making critical mistakes. Although some oversights are relatively harmless, other mistakes could seriously prejudice your case and make recovering reasonable compensation difficult.
Your actions directly following your crash could profoundly impact the result of your prospective claim. In this guide, the Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s top rated car accident lawyers will educate you on the top 5 mistakes to steer clear of following a car accident. If you or a family member are in a car accident, it is crucial to avoid the following missteps:
- Failing To Get Medical Attention: It’s essential to seek medical care, even for injuries that appear to be minor. After all the adrenaline from your accident decreases, you could notice more pain. Victims suffering from injuries like whiplash or internal bleeding may not even realize that they have been seriously injured. Even minor injuries can take a turn for the worse when left untreated.
- Not Contacting Law Enforcement: After being involved in an accident, it is vital to call the police. The police can help gather evidence, identify essential witnesses, and determine the cause of the collision. Police reports are vital records when it comes to car accidents.
- Claiming Blame: Avoid admitting guilt even if you believe you might be responsible for the accident. Collisions often involve various factors, and all aspects might not be immediately evident to you. It would be best to refrain from providing a statement to any insurance adjusters before obtaining legal representation.
- Settling Too Soon: Insurance adjusters have a reputation for proposing undervalued settlements and attempting to reject valid claims. They might try to minimize the severity of your injuries, which could result in you believing you deserve less compensation.
- Representing Yourself: Car accident claims are often very challenging for victims to successfully navigate on their own, especially when considering the ongoing trauma and stress from the collision. Many claimants who act on their behalf lack the necessary expertise, which will be apparent to insurance adjusters and attorneys representing the other party. A highly experienced lawyer will be able to manage all essential steps, negotiate a higher settlement, and, if required, fight your case in court. Hiring a renowned car accident injury lawyer will meaningfully increase the value of your claim.
You can ensure the most substantial possible outcome in your car accident case by avoiding the above mistakes and following our battle-tested attorneys’ suggestions. Jed Dietrich, Esq. promises to provide you with the highest level of legal representation. At the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., we have an immaculate history of obtaining top-dollar settlements and judgments for collision victims just like you. Please schedule your no-obligation, free consultation, and case evaluation by dialing 716-839-3939.