5 Steps To Obtain Compensation For Your Medical Bills After A Slip And Fall Accident

7-9-24-Compensation-Steps-300x100You should never have to pay out-of-pocket for medical costs incurred by an accident that was not your fault. However, the choices you make after an accident could impact your chances of making a successful recovery. Here are five steps to take to protect your right to compensation:

  1. Make a Doctor’s Appointment

You should always see the doctor after a slip-and-fall accident.

Certain types of injuries, which could range in severity from a hairline fracture to brain damage, are only detectable through medical imaging tests. And, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured, a physical examination is often the only way to ensure your well-being and receive a reliable health assessment.

Outside of these concerns, any records you obtain from your doctor could have a significant impact on any legal action you might decide to take. If you do not have documentation and a paper trail, an insurance company could easily claim there’s no evidence that you were ever really injured.

  1. Follow Through on Rehab and Referrals

If a doctor or urgent care provider refers you to a specialist or says that you need physical therapy, follow through. In New York’s legal system, accident victims are expected to take practical measures to mitigate their damages. This means that, if you have an opportunity to cut your losses or improve a treatment outcome, you’re expected to do so.

If you don’t have active insurance, your attorney could help explain your options for obtaining financial assistance.

  1. File a Formal Incident Report

Once you’ve ensured your health, file a formal incident report with the owner or manager of the property where you were injured. The owner or manager could be any of the following parties:

  1. A private homeowner;
  2. A for-profit business;
  3. An employer;
  4. An event management company or event organizer; or
  5. A federal, state, or local government agency.

Depending on the circumstances of your slip-and-fall accident, filing an incident report could be a formal prerequisite to lodging a personal injury lawsuit. Claims involving government entities are especially sensitive, as the authorities are entitled to what is termed “sovereign immunity.” In general, if a government entity seems likely to be named a defendant, you need to provide notice of the accident, and your intent to recover damages, as soon as you possibly can.

  1. Keep Records of Your Medical Expenses

Irrespective of whether the defendant in your claim is an individual homeowner, a private business, or a government entity, there’s a very good chance any compensation you receive will be paid by an insurance company. And insurance companies will not typically pay for your existing or outstanding financial losses if they cannot be verified.

You can protect your right to a recovery by keeping records of your medical expenses, including the following:

  1. Paid co-pays;
  2. Paid deductibles;
  3. Paid out-of-pocket expenses;
  4. Paid medical transportation fees; and
  5. Paid parking lot fees and other miscellaneous treatment-related expenses.

Keeping track of these records can be very difficult. If you’re having a hard time locating receipts, records, or other critical documentation, an experienced personal injury lawyer could help you obtain the paperwork you need.

  1. Contact an Attorney

Since our founding in 2005, the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. has fought and won innumerable slip-and-fall accident claims. Recognized as a U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firm, we know what it takes to come out on top—and we have the results to prove it.

Contact us today to schedule your 100% free consultation.

Contact Information