Car accidents can happen to anyone, anytime, and the moments immediately following the incident can be critical for your health and legal rights. Our team of Buffalo, New York, car accident injury lawyers at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. put together an easy reference list of the top 5 tips to protect yourself after a car accident:
- Ensure Safety and Call for Help: First and foremost, call 911 immediately. Even if there seem to be no visible injuries, dialing 911 is a wise first step.
- Report the Accident: It’s crucial to report the accident to the police, especially if there are injuries or significant damage. The police report is a vital document that can serve as evidence in your case. When speaking to the police, provide a truthful recounting of what happened, but steer clear of acknowledging blame or making comments that might be construed as accepting responsibility.
- Exchange Information and Gather Evidence: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, but limit your conversation about the accident to avoid inadvertently admitting fault. Use your smartphone to take photos of the accident scene, including the vehicles involved, any visible damages, traffic signs, and road conditions. Also, if there are any witnesses, make sure to collect their contact details. This evidence is instrumental when building your case.
- Consult a Healthcare Professional: Seeing a doctor after an accident is essential. Certain injuries, such as whiplash or concussions, may not show symptoms right away. Medical records starting from the accident date are critical evidence in personal injury cases, proving the extent and cause of your injuries.
- Consult a Personal Injury Attorney: Before dealing with insurance companies, consult a personal injury attorney experienced in Buffalo, New York, car accident cases. A Buffalo, New York, car accident injury lawyer can guide you through the legal process, help you understand your legal protections, and ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses. Remember, insurance companies aim to minimize payouts, so having legal representation can significantly affect the compensation you receive.
Following these tips can help protect your health and legal rights after a car accident. While the aftermath of an accident can be overwhelming, taking these steps can provide a foundation for your recovery and legal case. If you’re involved in a car accident in Buffalo, New York, consider contacting the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. to discuss your situation and explore your options. By prioritizing your safety, collecting evidence, and seeking professional legal advice, you can confidently navigate the post-accident process, ensuring your rights are protected every step of the way.