Challenges Faced After Exoneration
Jed Dietrich, Esq. and His Team of Lawyers and Paralegals at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., Recognized as a Best Law Firm of America, Fight to Obtain the Best Result for Innocent People Who Were Wrongfully Convicted of Crimes.
There are countless innocent individuals wrongfully convicted and spending time behind bars throughout the United States. Every instance of a wrongful conviction is a direct threat to the public’s trust in our justice system. There are now on average more than three exonerations every week. Those who have been exonerated for crimes they did not commit often spend years, if not decades, in the penitentiary system. Reentry into society is typically full of challenges, even for those who only spent a brief time in prison.
After finally being released, many exonerees are left trying to pick up the pieces and attempt to completely rebuild their lives. Due to the severity that the consequences of a wrongful conviction can have on someone, it is crucial to work to end these grave injustices. Although no amount of money will ever be enough for the harm exonerees suffer, we want to make certain that New York State provides adequate compensation so that exonerees can rebuild their lives.
If you, or a loved one, were wrongfully convicted, you can count on the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. to fight to make up for the injustice that you suffered. Jed Dietrich, Esq. will systematically investigate the details of your wrongful conviction claim and determine whether you have a valid claim for compensation. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s team of wrongful conviction lawyers in Buffalo, New York is highly experienced, aggressive, tenacious and hardworking. Every day, Jed Dietrich, Esq. is determined, disciplined and dedicated to obtaining the best possible results for victims of wrongful convictions.
Jed Dietrich, Esq. obtained over $175 million in verdicts and settlements for his clients, and always strives to secure the best outcome possible. Hire the Dietrich Legal Team of Buffalo, New York attorneys for the wrongfully convicted to battle to obtain the best result for your wrongful conviction claim. Our goal is to help you get back on your feet and to get your life back after a wrongful conviction. Contact us today at 716-839-3939 to find out if you may be eligible for monetary compensation for your damages. We can be reached 24 hours per day and 7 days per week, and there is never a fee unless we WIN for you!
Wrongfully convicted individuals tend to lose all hope in the justice system and may be prepared to serve their entire sentences, if not their lives, behind bars. Oftentimes, those who have been wrongfully convicted are so focused on getting released that they are not prepared for the challenges outside of prison. There are countless obstacles faced by exonerees attempting to re-enter society and take back their lives after long prison sentences. Those individuals exonerated after spending many years in prison often face challenges, including:
- Permanently damaged reputations: Exonerees often deal with agonizing losses of their reputations, even after being proven innocent. Many exonerees are stigmatized by the miscarriage of justice forever and cannot mend their damaged reputations. Friends, family and members of society might not trust exonerees because of the long periods of time spent apart and time served in prison.
- Loss of companionship: While being incarcerated for many years, close family members and friends may have died or moved away. Children of exonerees may have grown up and not even remember their locked-up mothers and fathers. Family members outside of prison are forced to move on without their innocent wrongfully convicted relatives. Less fortunate families may not have been able to afford the costs associated with visiting their incarcerated family members. Dealing with the loss of companionship from family members, spouses, children and friends is one of the biggest difficulties exonerees must face.
- Significant changes in technology: Exonerees that have been imprisoned for decades are often perplexed by the significant changes in technology during their time behind bars. Some of them might have never used cellphones or computers, which are now considered essential aspects of every day life. Adjusting to technological advancements can be challenging.
- Lack of education: Many of those wrongfully convicted were jailed at young ages before they could finish high school, go to college or develop adequate job skills to be hired and make a living in the current job market.
- Financial hardships: Trying to make ends meet after being in prison for years is not easy for some exonerees. Exonerees have to deal with years of lost wages, which may be especially difficult for exonerees nearing the age of retirement who have no savings. Some exonerees are released without having anywhere to stay.
- Severe mental health issues: Long-term emotional and mental health problems are extremely common after facing severe injustices and spending years behind bars. The trauma individuals face when they are falsely imprisoned can have a lasting impact on their lives.
Our team of wrongful conviction lawyers in Buffalo, New York will aggressively and tenaciously pursue monetary compensation after you were wrongfully convicted and imprisoned. Since 1999, Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as a Best Lawyer of America and New York Super Lawyer, has fought to secure winning results for his clients. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. is dedicated and determined to get you the best possible result after you were wrongfully convicted in Buffalo, New York; Niagara Falls, New York; Rochester, New York and throughout New York State. Do not wait any longer. Contact our team today for your free consultation. We are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week at 716-839-3939.
Being wrongfully convicted of a crime is a nightmare that nobody should have to encounter alone. We represent clients in wrongful conviction claims and are passionate about helping victims pursue legal relief and justice for the numerous damages and injuries they suffered.
The Court of Claims in New York determines the amount an exoneree receives after his or her release. Wrongfully convicted individuals can bring a variety of claims related to their unjust convictions for time unlawfully spent locked up. In order to bring a lawsuit, you are required to have been convicted of a crime, to have served time in prison and to have been subsequently released because of your innocence. If you are successful with your claim, recoverable damages may include:
- Loss of time;
- Loss of liberty;
- Loss of companionship;
- Loss of consortium;
- Psychological damages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Physical injuries suffered during your incarceration; and
- Economic damages.
It is important to note that the amount received can vary immensely depending on the severity of the misconduct involved, the amount of time served and the actual damages suffered. While you may never be able to regain the time that was robbed from you, we want to help make it possible for you to begin to live your life again. Please note that lawsuits are generally required to be filed within 2 years after receiving a dismissal or pardon of the indictment or complaint that resulted in your conviction—so you must act fast. Contact the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. today for the help that you need. We can be reached at 716-839-3939. Call us today!
WERE YOU EXONERATED FOR A CRIME THAT YOU DID NOT COMMIT IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF WRONGFUL CONVICTION LAWYERS IN BUFFALO, NEW YORK AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!