Common Pedestrian Injuries In Buffalo, New York
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2018, there were 6,283 pedestrians killed in traffic accidents. Pedestrians are nearly 1.5 times more susceptible to suffering fatal injuries in a crash than occupants of a vehicle. It is not difficult to understand why pedestrians are so vulnerable, as they lack any safety protections. There is roughly one pedestrian accident related death every 1.5 hours. Even when a pedestrian is fortunate enough to survive, his or her injuries may be physically debilitating or life-altering.
Research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that in 2015, nearly 129,000 pedestrians were treated for non-fatal crash related injuries. Every 8 minutes a pedestrian suffers injuries resulting from a car accident. Given the extreme disparity between the weight and velocity of cars when compared to people, pedestrian accident injuries are seldomly minor. Even a car crashing into a pedestrian at 15 mph is enough to cause total paralysis. Our pedestrian accident injury attorneys in Buffalo, New York have seen firsthand the tragic consequences these types of accidents can have on not only on victims, but their entire families.
All too often, careless or negligent drivers hit pedestrians who are just trying to live their lives. Whether you were in a parking lot, walking down the sidewalk or crossing the street, getting injured as a pedestrian can have severe negative consequences. Victims often suffer agonizing pain, massive financial strains and worry about whether insurers will compensate them for their losses. These heartbreaking occurrences inspire Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of Buffalo, New York pedestrian accident injury attorneys to strive to provide the highest level of personal injury service to the people of Western New York each and every day to get them the highest compensation possible for their injuries.
Jed Dietrich, Esq. has exclusively handled serious personal injury cases throughout the United States since 1999, including numerous pedestrian crash lawsuits. We will pursue the compensation that you deserve while you focus on the road to recovery. Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as a Best Lawyer of America and New York Super Lawyer, and his top rated team of pedestrian crash injury lawyers in Buffalo, New York over $175,000,000.00 in verdicts and settlement payments to compensate his clients for their serious personal injuries caused by someone else’s negligence. Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. TODAY at 716-839-3939 for a free consultation if you were seriously injured in a pedestrian accident. We are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week, and there is never a fee unless we WIN for you!
When a pedestrian is struck by a vehicle it typically results in three distinct impacts—each of which can lead to injury. First, the bumper of the car hits the lower portion of the victim’s leg. Then, their thigh strikes the upper edge of the hood, which then usually causes the victim’s upper body to rotate and their head and shoulders to crash into the windshield.
As you may imagine, speed is also a crucial element influencing a pedestrian’s injuries. At lower speeds, pedestrians tend to remain on the hood. As a vehicle’s speed increases, the magnified momentum of the victim’s body can force the legs to rotate over their head, before crashing back down onto the hood. At higher speeds, pedestrians can be completely run over or tossed over the car, before violently hitting the pavement or other objects in the road as they bounce or roll. Pedestrian accident victims can be left dead and even those that are lucky enough to survive may never be able to fully recover, if the driver was speeding.
If you, or a loved one, are a pedestrian who was injured by a car, truck or SUV, contact the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. today at 716-839-3939. Our team of highly experienced and top rated Buffalo, New York pedestrian accident injury attorneys will fight for the compensation that you deserve for the injuries you suffered, the pain and suffering that you endured and the monetary losses that you incurred.Common Injuries Suffered In Pedestrian Accidents
According to the New York State Department of Health, each year, on average 3,027 pedestrians are hospitalized due to vehicle-pedestrian crashes. The majority of pedestrian injuries occur in the region of the body that the vehicle hits. Nevertheless, in severe crashes, victims may also suffer multiple secondary injuries. Generally, the faster a car is moving, the more catastrophic the impact will be. Even at slower speeds, the sheer weight of a car is capable of causing massive internal injuries and breaking bones upon impact. Larger vehicles, such as commercial trucks, can propel the pedestrian long distances or throw them under the wheels. The most frequently occurring pedestrian-vehicle accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and other severe head trauma: TBIs can happen when a victim’s head is struck or whipped back and forth. A pedestrian’s head is unprotected and left vulnerable as he or she is thrown onto a car or the hard pavement. Even minor brain injuries need to be handled with extreme care, due to the sensitive nature of them. Common complications resulting from TBIs include inability to focus or employ cognitive processes, chronic pain or nausea, loss of balance and coordination, behavioral transformations, speech disorders, coma or even death. TBIs are some of the most damaging complications arising from pedestrian accidents and can even leave victims in a state of permanent reduced cognitive ability.
- Fractured and broken bones: The overwhelming force and velocity of a vehicle can shatter a victim’s bones. Fractured and broken bones can be found in just about any part of the body, with some requiring the need for prolonged physical therapy or even surgeries. Pedestrians commonly fracture their hands, wrists, arms, pelvis, legs and shoulders. In extreme cases, such as multiple compound fractures, amputations may be needed.
- Internal Injuries: Internal injuries frequently include brain bleeds, fractured ribs, and damage to internal organs, and are especially alarming because victims may not even be able to feel the pain, especially with all their adrenaline pumping. Although some internal injuries may not present obvious symptoms, when left untreated, internal injuries may be life-threatening.
- Spinal cord injuries: Injuries to the spinal cord can be severe and result in total paralysis or even death. Spinal cord injuries are often life-altering and may create the need for long-term care.
- Soft tissue damage: This type of injury may include lacerations, bruises, strains, sprains, tears, contusions and dislocations. While injuries to soft tissue may not seem as serious compared to other common pedestrian crash injuries, they can still result in scars, disfiguration, terrible pain and long-term health problems.
If you, or a loved one, were seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, contact Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his aggressive, tenacious and hardworking team of Buffalo, New York personal injury lawyers and paralegals at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. today at 716-839-3939. We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to assist you with your claim. Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of highly experienced pedestrian accident injury lawyers in Buffalo, New York will battle to obtain the best result for you if you were injured by someone else’s negligence. Call us today so that we can help you!
WERE YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, INJURED AS A RESULT OF A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT WITH A CAR, SUV OR TRUCK IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS AT 716-839-3939 TO FIND OUT IF YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR MONETARY COMPENSATION!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!