Pedestrian Accident Statistics
Jed Dietrich, Esq. and His Elite Team of Buffalo, New York Personal Injury Lawyers at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. Fight to Obtain the Best Result for People Injured in Pedestrian Accidents in Buffalo, New York.
When it comes to road safety, pedestrians are one of the most vulnerable members of the community. This should be of great concern to everyone in Western New York because we are all pedestrians at one point or another. Every time someone crosses the street, takes their dog out for a walk or even checks their mailbox, they are a pedestrian.
Walking anywhere on foot is a riskier activity than it has been in almost the past 30 years because of the greater number of distractions that drivers have on the road. After a pedestrian is struck by a car, truck or SUV, they can suffer serious and life-changing injuries. Furthermore, the loss of a loved one in a pedestrian accident can be especially devastating. As a result of the expensive medical bills, lost wages and reduced capacity to earn income, the long-term consequences of a pedestrian accident on you and your family can be disheartening. The last thing pedestrian accident victims need is to be worried by legal problems.
Jed Dietrich, Esq. has exclusively handled serious personal injury cases throughout the United States since 1999, including numerous pedestrian accidents lawsuits. If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, hire Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of highly experienced, aggressive, tenacious and hardworking pedestrian accident lawyers in Buffalo, New York to represent you. We will pursue the compensation that you deserve while you focus on the road to recovery or grieve the loss of your loved one.
Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as a Best Lawyer of America and New York Super Lawyer, and his top rated team of Buffalo, New York pedestrian accident injury lawyers over $175,000,000.00 in verdicts and settlements to compensate his clients for their serious personal injuries. Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., recognized as a Best Law Firm of America, TODAY at 716-839-3939 for a free consultation if you were seriously injured in a pedestrian accident. We are available 24 hours per day and 7 days per week, and there is never a fee unless we WIN for you!
In 2018, the number of pedestrians that were killed throughout America reached a 28-year high. According to the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), 6,277 pedestrians were killed in motor vehicle crashes in 2018, which is a 4% increase since 2017 and a 35% increase from 2008.
Based on research conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), every 8 minutes a pedestrian suffers injuries resulting from a car crash. Pedestrians are nearly 1.5 times more prone to suffer fatal injuries in an accident than occupants of a vehicle. Additionally, a pedestrian gets killed in a vehicle-related accident almost every 1.5 hours.
There are far fewer pedestrian accidents than car accidents every year, yet the survival rate of pedestrians is drastically lower. Pedestrian accidents are estimated to make up 16% of all traffic fatalities in 2018, compared to only 12% a decade ago. Vehicle safety and driver assistance technologies have greatly increased survival rate of drivers and passengers. However, pedestrians continue to be just as vulnerable to suffering severe or deadly injuries after being struck by a vehicle.
New York is one of seven states that averages over 100 pedestrian deaths annually, with the preliminary adjusted data showing 117 deaths in 2018. In 2017, New York was one of just five states that accounted for 43 percent of all pedestrian fatalities.
The New York State Department of Health provided by the following statistics:
- Out of every 100,000 New Yorkers, 1.6 dies in a pedestrian accident with an average of 312 deaths per year;
- The highest pedestrian fatality rates were among males and senior citizens; and
- Every year, on average 3,027 pedestrians are hospitalized due to vehicle-pedestrian accidents.
If you, or a loved one, were seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, contact Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his aggressive, tenacious and hardworking team of lawyers and paralegals at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. today at 716-839-3939. We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, and there is never a fee unless we WIN for you. Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of highly experienced Buffalo, New York pedestrian accident injury lawyers will battle to obtain the best result for you if you were injured by someone else’s negligence. Call us today so that we can help you!
The GHSA contributed the increase in pedestrian deaths to a number of key factors including:
- The increased popularity of trucks and sport utility vehicles (SUVs). The size and weight of trucks and SUVs makes them more likely to kill or seriously harm victims. Since 2013, the number of SUVs involved in pedestrian fatalities has dramatically increased by approximately 50%, while passenger cars involved in pedestrian deaths rose by only 30% over the same period.
- More Americans are walking, which has led to increased exposure. Recent surveys estimate that the number of people that walked to work in the past week increased roughly 4% from 2007 to 2016.
- A majority of fatal pedestrian accidents happened on local roads out of intersections, which suggests that safer road crossings are needed. Nationwide, less than one in five pedestrian fatalities occurred at an intersection. However, in New York the number of deaths at intersections rose to 33%. Intersections in New York State are among the deadliest, with 294 of 879 total pedestrian deaths at intersections from 2014 to 2016.
- According to the CDC, nearly half of all traffic accidents resulting in pedestrian deaths in 2017 involved drinking and driving or alcohol impairment of the pedestrian.
- State legalization of recreational marijuana is also thought to have increased the amount of pedestrian accidents. Marijuana greatly impairs both drivers’ and pedestrians’ attention levels, motor coordination and judgements. In the seven states that recently legalized marijuana, pedestrian deaths increased by over 16%.
- Hazardous behaviors, such as falling asleep while driving, disobeying speed limits and distracted driving have all been on the rise. Both drivers and pedestrians use over 4000% more smartphone data today than in 2008, which keeps their eyes off the road.
- Most deadly pedestrian accidents occur in cities. Rising urban populations, especially in the 10 most crowded cities, saw the largest increases in pedestrian accidents.
- Americans are on the road more because of the relatively strong economy combined with somewhat cheap gas prices.
If you, or a loved one, are a pedestrian who was injured by a car, truck or SUV, contact the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., a Best Law Firm of America, today at 716-839-3939. Our team of highly experienced and top rated pedestrian accident lawyers in Buffalo, New York will aggressively and tenaciously fight for the compensation that you deserve for the injuries you suffered. This may include monetary compensation for your medical bills, lost time from work and pain and suffering.
NHTSA studies looked at both demographic and social considerations in pedestrian accidents and determined the following factors:
- Males are at a much higher risk: most pedestrians that died in accidents were male.
- The death rate is higher among older pedestrians: the highest death rates were among those that are 50-54 years-old and 75-79 years-old.
- Children are at a greater risk too: 20% of children that suffered fatalities in traffic accidents were pedestrians.
- A majority of fatal pedestrian accidents happen during the night: the number of after dark deaths increased at a higher rate than daytime fatalities. The number of nighttime deaths of pedestrians grew by 45% compared to only an 11% increase during the day.
WERE YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, INJURED AS A RESULT OF A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT WITH A CAR, SUV OR TRUCK IN BUFFALO, NIAGARA FALLS, ROCHESTER OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYERS AT 716-839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 716-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Buffalo, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!