Each year, more than 8 million visits to emergency departments throughout the United States are caused by trips, slips, and falls. Accounting for 15 percent of all unintentional deaths, trips, slips, and falls are second only to car crashes. Additionally, falls are the primary cause of injury-related deaths for senior citizens. While a sudden fall may take you by surprise, the steps you take after your fall can significantly impact your ability to obtain reasonable compensation. Like most slip and fall victims, you might not know where to begin. In this blog, the Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s battle-tested attorneys will discuss 6 crucial tips to protect you after a slip and fall.
Steps After Your Stumble
Suppose you or a loved one have been the victim of a slip and fall accident. In that case, it is essential to take the below actions to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights:
- Determine the Cause: The best time to try to find out what caused your slip and fall accident is immediately after it happens.
- Gather Evidence: Take as many pictures and videos as possible of the dangerous condition that caused the fall, the accident scene, and your injuries. Also, note any nearby security cameras that might have recorded the mishap.
- Speak to Potential Witnesses: Obtain statements and contact details from bystanders. Ask them questions regarding what they observed and details about how the floor and surrounding area looked. Witnesses can help confirm your story, which is imperative if the property owner tries to place the blame on you.
- Speak to the Manager: If you are at a store or other public place, request to talk with the manager. Ask the manager to complete an accident report and provide you with a copy.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Even if you do not initially feel injured, you could still have suffered underlying trauma. Your health and well-being should always come first. Seeking immediate medical attention following your accident is one of the most important things you can do.
- Contact a Highly Experienced Injury Lawyer: An elite personal injury attorney can systematically investigate your accident, guide you through any legal issues successfully, and protect your rights.
Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his team of compassionate injury lawyers in Western New York are here for you. We promise to do everything possible to maximize your compensation. Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq. over $175 million to resolve his client’s injury claims. Our elite attorneys would happily offer you a complimentary, no-obligation case evaluation. Please call us today at 716-839-3939 and take the first step towards getting the justice you deserve.