Should I File an Insurance Claim If I Am Injured In An Accident?

Young-woman-confused-by-insurance-form-300x200Being the victim of an accident can be an extremely traumatic event, especially if you have suffered injuries, property damage, or other significant losses. Even seemingly minor accidents can have disastrous repercussions, such as life-long disabilities, permanent disfigurements, complete paralysis, and traumatic brain injuries. Since most accidents are unpredictable and transpire with little to no warning, victims are usually uncertain about their next steps. The last thing any accident victim wants to worry about is filing the proper forms. With a highly experienced personal injury attorney, the legal process after an accident does not have to be overwhelming. 

The Insurance Claim Process 

Whether you have suffered injuries resulting from a dog bite, slip and fall, or supermarket accident, filing an insurance claim is your first step towards obtaining compensation. Although insurance claims may appear complicated, filing a claim may not be as difficult as you think. It should be completed as soon as reasonably possible. It is essential to realize that New York is a no-fault state. This means that irrespective of who was at fault in a car crash, you can file a claim with your own insurance company to recover damages. 

Car Accident-Related Forms

After being involved in any car accident, you should file a No-Fault Claim (NF-2 Form). The purpose of this form is to let your insurance company know that you are claiming covered benefits and incidentals. Your insurance company will also use the NF-2 Form to determine whether or not you are eligible for benefits. Regardless of who was at fault, this claim must be filled out and submitted by the deadline. Missing this critical deadline could result in losing crucial benefits, such as hospital costs, lost wages, and other expenses related to your accident. 

Per Section 605 of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, every driver involved in an accident with property damages exceeding $1,000 or personal injury/fatality must file a Report of Vehicle Accident (MV-104 Form). All drivers must file their MV-104 Form within a prescribed time from the date of the accident. Failing to sign and mail this form to the Crash Records Center is a misdemeanor. Consequently, your license and registration can be suspended until you file the report.  

The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help!

Suppose that you, or a loved one, have been involved in an accident resulting from someone else’s negligence. In that case, we strongly suggest contacting Jed Dietrich, Esq., acclaimed as a New York Super Lawyer, at your earliest convenience. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s elite attorneys can determine who was liable for the accident and what insurance company you need to make a claim through. We can expedite the claim process and ensure that you are reasonably compensated for your damages. Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq. more than $175 million for his clients’ injury claims. Contact us today by dialing 716-839-3939 or completing the online consultation form so that we can help you!  

Contact Information