Top-Ranked Erie, Pennsylvania, Bicycle Accident Attorneys
For a small city, Erie, Pennsylvania, has near-unparalleled cycling infrastructure, boasting critically acclaimed beachside paths and easy access to interstate trails. Each year, the Erie Sports Commission organizes long-distance rides that crisscross the county, taking participants from the sand-covered shores of Lake Erie to the winding roads of Alleghany National Park. However, in spite of its popularity, cycling is a passion that is not without risks. In one recent year, bicycle accidents cost Erie County residents well over $1 million in hospital fees and medical expenses. Since the average cost of a bicycle crash can approach or even exceed $50,000, victims often find themselves struggling to afford treatment and the high-quality physical therapy needed to reclaim their independence.
While some bicycle accidents are simply unavoidable, perhaps caused by an inattentive rider, rugged terrain, or simple inexperience, others are the result of negligence. If you or a loved one have been injured in an Erie bicycle accident that was not your fault, you have options beyond insolvency. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. has spent years aggressively advocating for the rights of bicycle collision victims across Erie. Since our founding in 2005, we have helped our clients recover more than $175 million in damages—money that they have used to clear their medical debt, afford high-quality care, and begin the difficult task of rebuilding their lives after a tragic and unexpected crash. Please send us a message online or call us at 814-839-3939 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.The Most Common Causes of Pennsylvania Bicycle Crashes
Bicycle crashes are an unfortunately common occurrence. According to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an estimated 1,000 bicyclists die, and a further 130,000 are injured in accidents each year, costing the economy over $23 billion in damages annually and driving innumerable families to the brink of bankruptcy. However, the risks of bicycling are not borne equally across demographics. The federal government has found the following:
- Children, teenagers, and other adolescents are the most likely to suffer serious cycling-related injuries;
- Adults between the ages of 55 and 69 have the highest death rates; and
- Men are more than 6 times more likely than women to die in bicycle-related accidents.
For younger children, bicycle-related accidents are often the result of simple inexperience: almost everyone who knows how to ride a bicycle has fallen down, perhaps scraping a knee or breaking a bone. Sadly, when another motorist makes a mistake, the consequences for a cyclist can be devastating. Bicycle-related accidents are frequently caused by the following:
- Right-of-Way Violations: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has found that right-of-way violations are the highest factor in fatal bicycle crashes. Motorists may violate a cyclist’s right-of-way at traffic control signals, in intersections, and when merging onto roadways.
- Equipment Malfunctions: A bicycle equipment malfunction or an automotive parts failure could cause or contribute to an accident.
- Inclement Weather: Bicyclist deaths are the highest between the months of June and September. While most cyclists prefer to go outside when the weather is clear, inclement weather conditions—including rain, hail, and sleet—can compromise a motor vehicle’s ability to brake and avoid in-road obstacles.
- In-Road Obstacles: Government agencies and municipal corporations have a legal responsibility to maintain reasonably safe roadways. If a government agency receives notice of a pothole or other dangerous condition but fails to amend the condition, it could be held liable for any resulting accidents.
- Poor Visibility: Drivers are not always attentive. Under some circumstances, they may fail to notice pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists and inadvertently violate their right-of-way.
Irrespective of how they happen, bicycle accidents can be devastating. However, you should never have to pay out-of-pocket for another person’s mistake. If any irresponsible motorist caused your bicycle accident-related injuries, the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. could help you file a claim for compensation against the at-fault driver and their insurance company. Please call us at 814-839-3939 to discuss your case with an experienced legal professional.
HAVE YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, BEEN INJURED IN AN ERIE BICYCLE ACCIDENT THAT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ., AND HIS TEAM OF HIGHLY QUALIFIED ERIE, PENNSYLVANIA, PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS AT (814) 839-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
When larger vehicles strike bicycle riders, the cyclist is far more likely to sustain serious and potentially life-threatening injuries. Even when these injuries are not severe, they can interfere with a victim’s ability to live an independent life, keeping them away from work, friends, and family. The most common types of bicycle accident-related injuries include but are not limited to:
- Bruises and contusions;
- Broken bones;
- Fractured bones;
- Road rash;
- Pulled muscles;
- Torn muscles and ligaments;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Soft tissue injuries;
- Partial or total amputation;
- Disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death.
A recent analysis of bicycle-related accidents found that injuries inflicted by motor vehicles are significantly more likely to result in hospital admissions, which often necessitate intensive medical interventions. Since the average cost of a bicycle-related hospital admission can exceed $18,000, even financially stable victims with comprehensive health insurance policies could find themselves struggling to make ends meet. Jed Dietrich, Esq., believes that cyclists should never have to bear the burden of another motorist’s negligence. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. and its experienced team of attorneys could help you:
- Investigate the causes and circumstances of your accident;
- Assess your current and long-term care needs;
- Calculate your legal damages;
- Negotiate with the insurance company; and
- Aggressively advocate for your rights, whether in insurance negotiations or in a courtroom.
Do not lose your chance to ascertain justice. Please send the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. a message online or call us at 814-839-3939 to speak to a legal professional and discuss your options for rapid legal relief.
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at 814-839-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious, and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Erie, Pennsylvania. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!