Rochester, New York, Personal Injury: What Happens At Trial?
The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. is Staffed by Hardworking Attorneys Who Will Go the Distance to Get You the Compensation You Need and the Justice You Deserve.
If you, or a loved one, have been injured at work, in a car crash, or in a supermarket slip-and-fall, you could face a seemingly insurmountable road to recovery. Under ordinary circumstances, you should expect the wrongdoer, or their insurance company, to help compensate for your losses. Unfortunately, securing a fair settlement could prove to be an unexpected challenge. Even if you have an experienced attorney advocating your case, the other party may be unwilling to negotiate in good faith.
The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. understands that the aftermath of a serious Rochester accident could be catastrophic. You may be left unable to work and forced to incur increasing medical debt, all while needing to provide for your family and keep a roof over your head. When an insurance company, reckless motorist, or negligent business is unwilling to make amends, our attorneys could look beyond alternative dispute resolution and take your claim to trial.
Jed Dietrich, Esq., has spent his career standing up for his clients’ rights in court. Since founding the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. in 2005, Jed Dietrich, Esq., has won recognition as a New York Super Lawyer and American Institute of Trial Lawyers Litigator of the Year. Jed Dietrich, Esq., and his committed team of attorneys know what it takes to come out on top in a trial—and we have the results to prove it.
We have secured more than $175 million in damages—money that our clients have used to pay off their medical bills, seek superior health care, and begin putting their life back together after a tragic accident. Please call Jed Dietrich, Esq., at (585) 939-3939 to discuss your potential options for legal relief.Why Do Personal Injury Claims Go to Trial?
Many people mistakenly believe that most personal injury claims go to trial. However, the overwhelming majority of cases are settled through mediation and other out-of-court alternative dispute resolution strategies. After all: a personal injury lawsuit is a high-stakes affair—not just for an accident victim but for the defendant and their insurance company, too. Since insurance companies are for-profit businesses, they prefer coercing victims into accepting lowball settlements. While these settlements could be sufficient to cover the costs of past medical treatment, they do not always compensate the full range of potential damages.
Attorneys are intimately familiar with insurance companies’ strategies to devalue and deny claims. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. believes that nobody should have to pay the price for another person’s poor decision. Consequently, we do not allow adjusters to pressure our clients into taking inadequate settlements. If the other party is unwilling to admit liability or fulfill their compensatory obligations, we could advocate for your rights by:
- Negotiating with the insurance company for a better, more equitable settlement;
- Pursuing alternative dispute resolution strategies, including out-of-court mediation; and
- Taking your claim to trial.
The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. prefers to resolve cases through settlement since this is typically the fastest way to secure compensation for our clients. However, unlike many other law offices, we have no problem taking a case to trial. Our attorneys have years of experience constructing the kinds of evidence-based arguments needed to sway a judge and jury. Please send us a message online or call us at (585) 939-3939 today.
HAVE YOU OR A LOVED ONE BEEN INJURED IN A SERIOUS ROCHESTER ACCIDENT?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ., AND HIS TEAM OF HIGHLY QUALIFIED ROCHESTER, NEW YORK, PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS AT (585) 939-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Personal injury trials have variable timelines. Our office has found that most trials last anywhere between 3 and 10 days. However, a straightforward case could be resolved in as little as a day, while more complex claims could take longer. While trials have variable timelines, most trials are comprised of five critical stages:
- Jury Selection: Personal injury trials are presented before a jury. The first stage of any trial is jury selection, wherein attorneys for both the plaintiff and defendant will ask potential jurors questions to determine whether they have any biases or prejudices that could affect their ability to remain impartial.
- Opening Statements: A civil trial begins with opening statements, and the plaintiff’s attorney typically goes first. An opening statement is each party’s first opportunity to present the facts of the case and make a compelling argument. While opening statements are a critical component of a trial, they usually only last 15 to 20 minutes.
- Presentation of Evidence: Your attorney will present relevant evidence to demonstrate how an accident happened and why the defendant should be held liable for your injuries. During this stage, you may be asked to testify about your observations before, during, and after the accident. We could also share other relevant evidence, including eyewitness recollections or your physician’s description of the nature and severity of the injuries you suffered. After we have rested our case, the defense will be able to present its evidence.
- Closing Arguments: An opening statement prepares the jury to evaluate evidence. Conversely, a closing argument summates the evidence presented. A closing argument is effectively each party’s last opportunity to persuade the jury to draw favorable conclusions from the evidence.
- Deliberation: After closing arguments, the jury will proceed to a separate room for deliberations, during which they consider the evidence and render a verdict favoring either the plaintiff or the defendant. The jury could then elect to award damages, which are subject to approval and revision by the judge.
While we cannot predict exactly how long a trial will last, the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. is committed to providing each of our clients with the highest level of personal injury service. Our experienced attorneys will do everything in their power to ensure that you receive a fast, fair settlement from the defendant and their insurance company. If they refuse to provide the compensation you deserve, we will take them to court.
Jed Dietrich, Esq., could help you assess the totality of your damages, investigate the causes of your accident, and prepare for your trial and testimony. We believe that nobody should have to bear the burden of another person’s negligence, which is why we pride ourselves on providing relentless, aggressive, and experienced representation. Please call Jed Dietrich, Esq., at (585) 939-3939 today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at (585) 939-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious, and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Rochester, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!