Rochester Car Accidents in the Rain
Jed Dietrich, Esq., and His Team of Skilled Car Accident Attorneys at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. Will Work Diligently to Obtain the Highest Reward Possible for Individuals Injured in Car Accidents in the Rain in Rochester, New York.
It is common knowledge that car accidents are a leading cause of accidental death in the United States. According to a study published by the American Meteorological Society, weather plays a significant role in whether a collision is fatal; the risk of fatality increases by over one-third if precipitation—rain, snow, or sleet—is a factor. The study found that the risk more than doubles with heavy precipitation. Rochester sees an average of 33 inches of rain annually and gets more snowfall than most cities in the country at about 100 inches per year. The Federal Highway Administration claims that seventy and forty-six percent of car accidents occur due to wet pavement and rainfall, respectively.
Many drivers understand that rainy weather means they need to slow their speed or, if possible, avoid driving altogether. Unfortunately, others neglect to take such precautions. If you were injured in a car accident in the rain, you are likely feeling distressed. Our team of top-tier car accident attorneys at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. are here to help you navigate your case with compassion and expertise. Jed Dietrich, Esq., has been representing individuals in personal injury cases since 1999. He has acquired $175 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients, including individuals injured in car collisions throughout Western New York. Jed Dietrich, Esq., has been recognized as a Best of the Best Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney and one of the 10 Best Attorneys by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys. He is also among just five percent of the attorneys in Upstate New York to be a member of the Super Lawyers.
If you, or a loved one, have been injured in a car accident in the rain in Rochester, New York, contact the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. today by calling (585) 939-3939 or visiting us online for a free consultation. Our team of car accident in the rain attorneys in Rochester, New York, is prepared to advocate for you. We will never charge you until we have obtained a judgment in your favor. Our office is open 24 hours per day and 7 days per week.Driver Duty
Though wet roads increase the risk of an accident, drivers have a duty to drive responsibly. In Rochester, the duty to exercise caution due to the rain is present throughout the year: While rainfall and thaws are common during the winter, rain can be seen as often as every three to four days during the summer, particularly in inland areas. Accidents happen, but many of them are preventable. When operating a vehicle in the rain, a driver should:
- Drive Slowly: In most cases, drivers should follow the posted speed limit. However, there is an exception when it comes to driving in the rain. The posted limit refers to the maximum speed at which a driver is allowed to travel under optimal weather conditions. Because rain results in lower visibility, driving at or above the posted speed limit can be dangerous.
- Use Their Car’s Equipment Properly: Before operating a car, it is a driver’s responsibility to ensure their car’s equipment, such as windshield wipers, is working properly. Like wipers, headlights are crucial for driving safely in the rain; even during the day, they allow drivers to spot one another in low-visibility conditions. Brights, also known as high beams, are not typically necessary and may even be dangerous, as they bounce off the rain and can be distracting.
- Beware of Standing Water: Driving through water that is just a few inches deep can result in hydroplaning or a loss of traction between a vehicle’s tire and the road. Also known as aquaplaning, hydroplaning can occur when very little water combines with accumulated oil residue; in other words, even light rain can increase the risk of hydroplaning and, thus, a driver’s loss of control over their vehicle. When hydroplaning occurs, drivers are encouraged to let off the gas and calmly steer back in the proper direction.
- Maintain a Safe Distance: According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles’ website, a driver should keep a minimum of a three-second following distance between themselves and the car in front of them under ideal weather conditions. Because wet pavement causes tires to lose traction, this time should be increased when it is raining. The correct following distance can be determined by starting count once a car has passed a fixed point.
- Wait Until Weather Improves: Some of us look forward to cozy days indoors during the rainy season. Drivers who are able to reschedule work or trips are better off doing so until weather conditions improve, especially if they are uncomfortable driving in the rain.
While it is true that rainy weather often leads to car accidents, no one is prepared for the stress of a collision when they get into their vehicle. If you have sustained an injury, our team of top-rated Rochester car accident in the rain attorneys at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. are here to help. Call us at (585) 939-3939 or visit us online for a free consultation. We will not charge you a fee until we have won your case.
DID YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, SUFFER INJURIES IN A CAR ACCIDENT IN THE RAIN IN ROCHESTER, NEW YORK?
CONTACT JED DIETRICH, ESQ., AND HIS COMMITTED TEAM OF ROCHESTER, NEW YORK, CAR ACCIDENT IN THE RAIN ATTORNEYS AT (585) 939-3939 NOW TO OBTAIN THE HELP THAT YOU NEED!
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at (585) 939-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious, and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Rochester, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We do not charge you until we WIN for you!