Rochester Car Accidents and Student Drivers
Jed Dietrich, Esq., Renowned as a Super Lawyer and American Institute of Trial Lawyers Litigator of the Year, and His Team of Passionate and Persistent Attorneys at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C., Documented as Best Car Accident Lawyers, Aggressively Pursue Lawsuits to Obtain Justice for Victims Who were Injured by Student Drivers in Rochester, New York, Throughout Monroe County, and Beyond.
Most teenagers dream about the day they can get their learners’ permits. A learner’s permit is the first step to obtaining a driver’s license. Getting behind the wheel for the very first time can be an exhilarating experience. Driver’s licenses can unlock countless possibilities for teens. While obtaining a license is one of the first major steps toward gaining independence, driving comes with a lot of responsibility. New drivers are more susceptible to car accidents than experienced drivers. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), car crashes are the second leading cause of death for teenagers. In a recent year alone, nearly 2,400 teens suffered fatalities, and approximately 258,000 received emergency medical treatment for injuries sustained in car accidents.
Before obtaining a license, new drivers must learn the basics of operating a vehicle. Practice is the most important factor in the development of safe drivers. Before teens can take their road test, they are required to complete at least 50 hours of parent-certified supervised driving. Additionally, some potential drivers take state-approved high school or private driver education courses to gain crucial experience and gradually demonstrate their safe driving ability. Learning to drive can be a nerve-racking experience for some. With so many new traffic rules and signs, things may seem overwhelming. Unsurprisingly, there are cases of student drivers crashing during driving lessons. Suppose that you, or someone close to you, have been hit by a student driver. In that case, you are probably wondering who can be held responsible for your hospital bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, damaged vehicle, and other losses you may have sustained. The seasoned lawyers at the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. have helped thousands of victims and their families bounce back after devastating car accidents. Our battle-tested team has decades of experience in getting our clients the best possible result.
Jed Dietrich, Esq., recognized as a Best Attorney of America, has zealously dedicated the last 23 years of his impressive legal career to litigating for the rights of accident victims. Over the years, Jed Dietrich, Esq. has prosecuted thousands of injury claims. Insurance companies have paid Jed Dietrich, Esq. and his talented team at least $1,000,000.00 or more 38 times for injured victims in Rochester, New York, throughout Western New York, and beyond. Our veteran team would love the chance to evaluate your case in further detail. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s leading Rochester injury attorneys provide free, no-obligation consultations. Our best of the best team is available around the clock, by dialing (585) 939-3939 or by completing the online consultation form.Who Is Responsible in a Student Driver Crash?
Although every accident is unique, collisions involving student drivers typically have commonalities indicative of limited driving experience and failure to recognize hazards. For example, some students only focus on the road directly in front and do not pay attention to anything else. Student drivers are inclined to make mistakes, such as not checking their blind spots before changing lanes, failing to signal, miscalculating distances between vehicles, stopping abruptly, running red lights, or failing to yield the right-of-way. Depending on the circumstances of your student driver accident, there may be several liable parties, including:
- The Student Driver: Although students are not fully licensed, there is an expectation that they have the basic proficiency in operating a vehicle. Since the student obtained a learner’s permit, he or she should have the necessary understanding of New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law. In other words, student drivers are legally obligated to drive in a reasonably safe manner. Not being fully licensed is not a defense against violating the law. If a student’s negligent or irresponsible driving caused your crash, you might be eligible to pursue a claim against them.
- The Driving Instructor: The instructor’s role is to teach and guide students, both in the classroom and behind the wheel. Driving instructors should always stay focused on their students, other vehicles, and the surroundings. Cars driven by students are usually equipped with emergency brakes and passenger-side steering wheels. To avoid accidents, if necessary, instructors should intervene or even take control. When an instructor’s inattention, negligence, or failure to live up to his or her duties results in a preventable crash, they can be held accountable.
- The Driving School: If the car that collided with you is owned or operated by a driving school, the vehicle almost certainly carries a large insurance policy. When a school fails to properly maintain its vehicles, such as bald tires or worn brakes, and it results in a crash, that company could be held responsible. The school may also be held accountable for the instructor’s negligence under the legal doctrine of respondeat superior. According to the respondeat superior, an employer may be held liable for its employee’s irresponsible acts as long as the conduct was foreseeable and a regular circumstance of their employment. Finally, the school could be held accountable for negligent hiring, failing to practice due diligence in hiring, improper training, or inadequate supervising of drivers.
WERE YOU, OR A LOVED ONE, BRUTALLY INJURED IN A CAR CRASH CAUSED BY A STUDENT DRIVER IN ROCHESTER, MONROE COUNTY OR OTHER PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE?
CALL JED DIETRICH, ESQ. AND HIS TOP RATED AND BATTLE-TESTED TEAM OF ROCHESTER, NEW YORK STUDENT DRIVER CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS AT (585) 939-3939 NOW TO GET THE ASSISTANCE THAT YOU DESERVE!
It takes time and practice for novice drivers to recognize, process, and react to various situations behind the wheel. With multiple things happening all at once, sensory overload can cause new drivers to forget their training and react impulsively. Consequently, student drivers are more likely to make bad decisions that can lead to severe accidents. Watching your teen drive for the first time can bring up many different emotions, such as fear and excitement. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s compassionate team is dedicated to reducing the number of crashes and helping your teen stay safe. We recommend the following suggestions for parents of new drivers:
- Education: Many local schools offer driver’s education classes for students. We suggest enrolling your child in this training to learn as much as possible before hitting the road.
- Practice: Take your teen out for practice. The more training and experience student drivers have, the smarter decisions they can make behind the wheel.
- Limit Passengers: A recent study shows that teen drivers’ collision risk substantially increases when they are carrying passengers. Compared to driving with no passengers, a 16-year-old driver’s risk of death rises 44% with one passenger under the age of 21.
- Create a Driving Agreement: Before your teen gets their learner permit, you should discuss your rules and expectations. Then, draft a driving contract and have them sign it.
Properly determining negligence in your student driver accident can be time-consuming and complicated. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C.’s elite lawyers are highly experienced at tracking down witnesses, obtaining police reports, and investigating accident scenes to discover the truth. Retaining Jed Dietrich, Esq., a proud member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, can provide you with numerous advantages, such as receiving quicker and significantly larger settlement offers. Please contact our battle-tested team at (585) 939-3939 to obtain a free case assessment. The Dietrich Law Firm P.C. takes all of our clients on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you will never pay any up-front fees for our superior legal services. We are proud to represent clients throughout Rochester, New York, Monroe County, and all surrounding areas.
Call the Dietrich Law Firm P.C. immediately at (585) 939-3939 so that our aggressive, tenacious and hardworking personal injury lawyers can fight to obtain the best result for your personal injury claim in Rochester, New York. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is never a fee until we WIN for you!